Anemone id help!

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these nems in clusters around Caspersen Beach, Fl. Anyone have an idea of what they could be?

I’m wondering if it’s a cloak anemone of some sort.

Thanks!
- Aiden
IMG_5184.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these nems in clusters around Caspersen Beach, Fl. Anyone have an idea of what they could be?

Thanks!
- Aiden
IMG_5184.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg
No idea on ID but is that a weight boat you have them in? They must be sooo tiny! Cool find.

OP
OP
Aiden22!

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on ID but is that a weight boat you have them in? They must be sooo tiny! Cool find.
Yup good eye! The largest ones have a pedal disk around an inch in diameter. I'm looking into these nems at my marine lab but cant seem to get a good id. Hopefully someone on here can help before I bother more professors .

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of ball anemone maybe Condylactis gigantea. If that’s the case they are prohibited. If I’m wrong you are still over limit so be careful.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup good eye! The largest ones have a pedal disk around an inch in diameter. I'm looking into these nems at my marine lab but cant seem to get a good id. Hopefully someone on here can help before I bother more professors .
Very cool! What lab are you with?
Ours in over in New Orleans but we do some work in the FL pan handle.

OP
OP
Aiden22!

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of ball anemone maybe Condylactis gigantea. If that’s the case they are prohibited. If I’m wrong you are still over limit so be careful.
I'm pretty sure these aren't Condylactis gigantea, mainly because of their size. We found these anemones attached to a couple of rocks in the sand, and they're all really small, barely over 3 centimeters. That's quite different from the usual 7 to 10 centimeters you'd expect from a Condy. So, considering their size, it doesn't seem like they match up with Condylactis gigantea.

OP
OP
Aiden22!

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New Orleans is pretty ******! I'm a undergrad research assistant at Florida State University's Coastal and Marine Laboratory under Dr. Tara Stewart Merrill's. Our focus is on marine parasitism and diseases, with a particular emphasis on oyster parasitism. Currently, I'm exploring the interactions between sea anemones, like Aiptasia, and bacterial blooms, such as red tide (caused by dinoflagellates). These nems were collected from a beach experiencing worsening red tide. My project aims to assess their growth patterns in relation to nutrient increases. Im attempting to predict how such anemones might proliferate in the future, especially as red tides continue to nuke fish populations and subsequently enrich the water with nutrients.

OP
OP
Aiden22!

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://tarastewartecology.weebly.com/

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball anemone?? No. Balls are mushrooms. These are actual nems.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"True ball anemones" are Paracorynatis which are corallimorphs (mushroom corals)

Condys are called ball anemones here. They are all over the place and usually referred to as ball nems or condys colloquially. Just googled to see if it’s a nomenclature and even the window licking wiki/google editors call them ball anemones. For the sake of this discussion let’s just call them squishy squishy sea boobs. Squishy squishy sea boobs are sexual so they do appear in numbers and very small throughout the year depending on when the last mass spawn was. Even if they/them are not squishy squishy sea boobs, that’s still over limit.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condys are called ball anemones here. They are all over the place and usually referred to as ball nems or condys colloquially. Just googled to see if it’s a nomenclature and even the window licking wiki/google editors call them ball anemones. For the sake of this discussion let’s just call them squishy squishy sea boobs. Squishy squishy sea boobs are sexual so they do appear in numbers and very small throughout the year depending on when the last mass spawn was. Even if they/them are not squishy squishy sea boobs, that’s still over limit.
If they have a scientific collection permit they don’t abide by the same collection limits. Being part of a lab I’d assume they have said permits.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks!
- Aiden
IMG_5184.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg
Wow- nice score. Likely Florida condylactus which are ornamental. Clowns rarely go into them but domino damsels will

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Orleans is pretty ******! I'm a undergrad research assistant at Florida State University's Coastal and Marine Laboratory under Dr. Tara Stewart Merrill's. Our focus is on marine parasitism and diseases, with a particular emphasis on oyster parasitism. Currently, I'm exploring the interactions between sea anemones, like Aiptasia, and bacterial blooms, such as red tide (caused by dinoflagellates). These nems were collected from a beach experiencing worsening red tide. My project aims to assess their growth patterns in relation to nutrient increases. Im attempting to predict how such anemones might proliferate in the future, especially as red tides continue to nuke fish populations and subsequently enrich the water with nutrients.
That sounds like great work!
Seeing as this is a research project you’ll likely need to key these out. This forum is a wonderful resource, but you’ll need to be able to cite a source for identification. Your PI should be able to assist you with that. If not, for whatever reason, shoot me a PM. My PI’s partner is a marine benthic ecologist (also in our department) and she may know where to look.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could get some close-up, moderately bright, white light pics of a larger specimen?

I don't ID nems too often, so a top-down, straight-on pic of the mouth and tentacles and a straight-on, side-shot of the foot/column of the anemone (basically everything from the tentacles down) would be helpful for me.

As a side note, are there some Diadumene lineata specimens mixed in with the others in that third pic?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0334.jpeg
This the closest too them what I keep
Do they ball up totally sometimes like a round blob
IMG_0389.jpeg
Interesting I don’t know but hopefully some one will got me interested now lol
They are very very nice looking very delicate tentacles. Yep interesting

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bundosoma Cavernata or warty sea anemone based on the collection location, size, and the spots on the column.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back