Anemone Id please

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Much better added pic. Agree on heteractis magnifica is is the second largest of anemones. At times , the tips will swell making it a beauty

AS

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
BTA.jpeg

The white lines radiated from the mouth is what I am talking about. All BTA have at least one of these lines. If you anemone does not have this, it is not a BTA but a Magnifica. Magnifica , when healthy, also so have mouth pluck up like a nipple, while mouth of BTA is rather flat.
Sorry, you picture is not clear enough for me to see the mouth clearly, but you can easily see this looking at it in person, even if you have to get a turkey blaster to blow some tentacles out of the way to see the mouth.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
On the first picture in particular, it seems to have a few seperate tentacles in the middle of the oral disk. Could be a white tip or green tip macrodactyla. Does it have spots on the outside?

D-Nak

View Badges
Reaction score
My gut tells me that it's a Ritteri (H. magnifica).

How is the foot attached to rock? Can you see it? Is it under the rock or is it spread across the top like a fried egg? It's not an ideal way to ID an anemone but it provides some evidence as to what it could be.

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 163 33.4%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 68 13.9%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 32 6.6%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 137 28.1%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 70 14.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 18 3.7%
http://www.marcorocks.com/