Anemone in an SPS tank

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am hoping to have a mostly SPS tank in the future. My tank is 9 mos old and I am letting it mature before I make my first SPS purchase. However, I really like anemones and am wanting to put one in my tank so my two clowns can (hopefully) live in it. However, I hear they can be a bit tricky and can move around quite a bit at first, which is why I want to get one before I get any SPS in there after the anemone has found its home.

Any experience out there in R2R land regarding having an anemone in an SPS tank? What kind is good to get that wont move around much? I've read the stories about them being chewed up by powerbeads and also about them moving around the tank and taking out a lot of the SPS corals.

Anyway, tell me the good/bad/ugly.

Thanks!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about 3 years now. It has been my experience that if you provide it quality light and flow and a place where it can retract out of light and flow, it will not move.

Mine plays pretty nice with its neighbors and will anchor part of its disc in different places each day so it doesn’t blow much into other corals. I don’t ever see people talk about this but they will extend and right at the edge of the tentacles, they will stick to the rock and it will do this in several places so it ends up shaped like an amoeba during the daylight cycle.

At night, it retracts and remains big enough for the clowns to sleep.

I think they are extremely under rated and misunderstood. If you provide a great home for them, they mix in well and can become a centerpiece of your reef. If conditions are not right, they will cause you some issues for sure. It’s worth the risk to me.

2sqwI36.jpg

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, tell me the good/bad/ugly.

If you're going to be mad/upset/get rid of the nem because you value (or the market does) your SPS over a nem, you're better off not to get one to begin with. I'm honestly of the opinion if you're going to have a nem in your tank, you should be putting it in there with the attitude that it's the most important thing in your tank and you're willing to sacrifice anything else you put in there for the Nem. I only say that because Murphy.

This is not me trying to steer you away from nems, this is just me trying to set realistic expectations as again, Murphy.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in your same situation. I am looking forward to an anemone. I’m sure I will lose a coral or 2 to a sting, but worth it to me. I did my aqua scape with it in mind for placement. Though the anemone probably won’t care ;)

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to be mad/upset/get rid of the nem because you value (or the market does) your SPS over a nem, you're better off not to get one to begin with. I'm honestly of the opinion if you're going to have a nem in your tank, you should be putting it in there with the attitude that it's the most important thing in your tank and you're willing to sacrifice anything else you put in there for the Nem. I only say that because Murphy.

This is not me trying to steer you away from nems, this is just me trying to set realistic expectations as again, Murphy.
Murphy never sleeps :eek:

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several in the past, in several different tanks with SPS. Same as above, usually move a bit and settle in. These were all wild I believe.

This time around I got two rainbow rose from someone locally who had theirs split often. Well, I have never had one split with years of keeping them and this time around I have 5 starting with only 2 a few months ago. They're super healthy and haven't been shocked etc. I really wonder if some are more genetically prone to splitting. Now I am having a problem as they're popping up all over the place. I do love them though.

But, as above, they can move and they can kill other corals, so it's always a risk.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the great comments above. Hopefully we can keep Murphy away but you never know.....

Any types of anemones that are easier to keep than others? Also, how do you anchor one in the middle of the sand bed? I have an area right in the center of the tank that might be a perfect place for it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back