Anemone Placement

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With planning my tank for grow out, I do want an anemone in a couple more months when I hit the 6 month mark.

I have two possible spots, I think.

20170221_194728_1.jpg

The first spot (yellow) gets really good lighting and pretty strong flow. I'll have acros on the right side of the rock past the already encrusted Oculina Robusta directly outside of the circle. Only other nearby coral would be the Radioactive Candy Cane you can see below the ledge. Concerns here would be the Oculina Robusta and possibly the Candy Cane once it grows out (currently 2 heads, just added).

The second spot (red circle) gets good lighting as well and medium+ flow. Behind it will be a Euphyllia garden. Torch will most likely stay in that corner where it has been happy. Chalice below can (and will most likely) be moved. Concern here would obviously be the Euphyllia garden. The circled spot is actually a separate rock on top of the structure.

20170221_195031.jpg

Would either of these spots work? If not, I don't think I'll be able to get a BTA until I upgrade somedayyy.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a five foot tank....put the RBTA in the left corner. The following day it was in the right corner, and I was lucky because he/she stayed there forever. But yes, they will find their own spot. You can't pick it! Best of luck.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will it just walk around leaving death and chaos in its (literal) wake until it finds its happy place?

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm more asking: While it's trying to find a spot, will it kill everything it comes in contact with (say it floats past my Euphyllia garden, brushes over them, and nukes everything) or do they have to "consciously" (as much as an invertebrate can be conscious) sting as a way to increase growth area/kill a perceived threat?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LTA did not. It tried a spot by the wall hammer, then by the trumpet coral before finally settling on the left side of the tank. None of the other animals were harmed. The coral and the anemone could sense each other's presence, so they naturally kept some distance.

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding an anemone, you need to make sure your powerheads are safe with sponge or other guards - and is that a heater in the tank on the left? If your nem settles on the heater while it is off it may not have time to move when the heater comes on. Also your hang on filter in back needs a longer strainer. The pull on the nem will suck it through that small strainer. You want to disperse the pull force into filters and power heads as much as possible.

Should the nem get pulled through a filter or strainer, do not try to extract the nem yourself. Take the nem with the offending part (turned off or removed from the source) and place in an area by a rock so the nem can attach its foot and let the nem extract it self.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding an anemone, you need to make sure your powerheads are safe with sponge or other guards - and is that a heater in the tank on the left? If your nem settles on the heater while it is off it may not have time to move when the heater comes on. Also your hang on filter in back needs a longer strainer. The pull on the nem will suck it through that small strainer. You want to disperse the pull force into filters and power heads as much as possible.

Should the nem get pulled through a filter or strainer, do not try to extract the nem yourself. Take the nem with the offending part (turned off or removed from the source) and place in an area by a rock so the nem can attach its foot and let the nem extract it self.

Awesome suggestions! I had planned on the powerhead cover, but didn't know the others could be an issue. I might be relocating my heater to my filter if possible. It's an AC110 with an InTank basket, so I'll have to see if I can get it in there somehow. Never even thought about the filter strainer. It doesn't seem very strong, but that may be because of my flow. I'll have to look into options for that. I still have a couple months before thinking about adding a nem anyways, though, so I have time.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your aquascape has two islands it looks like, pick an island to place it on and just plan on it roaming around until it finds a happy place to plant it's foot. It all depends on the flow, amount of lighting it needs, etc. If you really want the BTA, don't place corals on that island that you really don't want stung until it's found its happy place. Truth is though, it mind end up going for a walk anytime and find a new happy place.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably try on the right side island since I plan on waiting on most acros anyways.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see in the photos, but do the rocks have a place where the BTA and hide/bury its foot? If there are no crevices, it may wander until it finds a spot that's comfortable.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I actually thought to check that last night. There's a PERFECT spot for a foot on the high spot on the right.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I actually thought to check that last night. There's a PERFECT spot for a foot on the high spot on the right.
I hate to tell you this...but I had the perfect spot in my tank for the anemone to set it's foot as well. The only problem was that the anemone disagreed ;)

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to tell you this...but I had the perfect spot in my tank for the anemone to set it's foot as well. The only problem was that the anemone disagreed ;)

Haha, don't worry. I have no delusions of ANYTHING in my tank being cooperative.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back