Anemone (possibly a BTA? Questions)

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a baby one that took off, and I dont know where it went. Has that same green glow like yours
new growth.jpg

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wont hurt to turn your lights down for a few weeks to see if that could be a problem or not.

It would mirror a cloudy few weeks which really hurts nothing.

I would not try feeding until it finds its spot, I hope you get it to find one.

I lost one of those purple or blue tipped white ones a long time ago, it sucks when you cant help your amigo pequeno
Fairly certain it isn't the lights, the previous lights were much dimmer than my AI Primes (the lights that the Nem started under) and because of that, when I added the AI Prime HD's I put them in Acclimation mode (pretty sure they're still doing their acclimation as we speak), and he's been moving pretty much non-stop since I got him. I am beginning to wonder if it's my flow, but nothing else seems to be bothered by the flow, plus there are some ultra-low-flow areas of the tank that he's been in and moved away from. I have 2 Sicce XStream SDC's running an Anti-Sync pulse mode from 0-55% over 1 second with a 1 second pause. This is in a 32.5" long tank (total volume 32.5Gallons, Display Volume Approximately 25 Gallons). The return is running at 750GPH but the duckbills are pointed up to break water surface.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when they are stressed they like dim light, as far as flow I have 2 mp40s that are on full blast sometimes, others 70% in a 210g tank, their tentacles always flowing, and none directly in the firing line of the flow.

It may not be the light, but I think all areas you have covered, and I know it does not hurt to try. I left my lights on to bright for 5 years, I just dont like others making my mistakes. It may not be your problem as you suggest. but if you dim lights and he colors up, you will know for sure. only takes a week to figure it out. its what I did, and I cant believe how well everything did afterwards.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly certain it isn't the lights, the previous lights were much dimmer than my AI Primes (the lights that the Nem started under) and because of that, when I added the AI Prime HD's I put them in Acclimation mode (pretty sure they're still doing their acclimation as we speak), and he's been moving pretty much non-stop since I got him. I am beginning to wonder if it's my flow, but nothing else seems to be bothered by the flow, plus there are some ultra-low-flow areas of the tank that he's been in and moved away from. I have 2 Sicce XStream SDC's running an Anti-Sync pulse mode from 0-55% over 1 second with a 1 second pause. This is in a 32.5" long tank (total volume 32.5Gallons, Display Volume Approximately 25 Gallons). The return is running at 750GPH but the duckbills are pointed up to break water surface.
Do you run carbon? Mixing anemone species can lead to chemical war fare that can’t be tested for, I lost an Haitian anemone due to this , now I just keep btas

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run carbon? Mixing anemone species can lead to chemical war fare that can’t be tested for, I lost an Haitian anemone due to this , now I just keep btas
Yeah, I have carbon running.
I know when they are stressed they like dim light, as far as flow I have 2 mp40s that are on full blast sometimes, others 70% in a 210g tank, their tentacles always flowing, and none directly in the firing line of the flow.

It may not be the light, but I think all areas you have covered, and I know it does not hurt to try. I left my lights on to bright for 5 years, I just dont like others making my mistakes. It may not be your problem as you suggest. but if you dim lights and he colors up, you will know for sure. only takes a week to figure it out. its what I did, and I cant believe how well everything did afterwards.
I'll give the lights a try, the acclimation mode started at 20% power though, ramping up to 100% over the course of 1-month... I'll see about reducing them to 20% for a solid week though.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so, I recently (about 2 weeks ago) was at my LFS and was looking at their Anemone's for sale. There was (what I thought/think) a BTA there, but it was all white, it still glows under UV, but I thought it was pretty unique looking and picked it up for my tank. Upon reading some things (just general research because it likes to move around the tank a lot), a lot of people are saying that it should definitely not be white. I can't get a picture of it right now because it's closed up, but found this image on google images and it looks exactly like mine does...

imageproxy.jpg

First question is, is this a BTA? or another type of Anemone?
Next question is, if it is a BTA, does this mean it's bleached? Should I be hand feeding it until it gets color back?

Any help is appreciated

def looks like a BTA too me. I saw one that looked just like it at the LFS the other day.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it out, I hope this helps. I found my baby that looks exactly like yours its been 3 to 4 weeks since ive seen him, but I found him. So remember my lights are turned down really low. The baby went down and anchored himself in the shade. I have another older one like that but he stayed up top at the water line and is starting to turn more green. I just wanted to show you this, because the light may not be to dim, but this one sure wanted less light. Which not all are needing or wanting. It may get him to attach. If your ever in northern Ca I would give you a couple because I know you will care for them.
baby nem.jpg

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it out, I hope this helps. I found my baby that looks exactly like yours its been 3 to 4 weeks since ive seen him, but I found him. So remember my lights are turned down really low. The baby went down and anchored himself in the shade. I have another older one like that but he stayed up top at the water line and is starting to turn more green. I just wanted to show you this, because the light may not be to dim, but this one sure wanted less light. Which not all are needing or wanting. It may get him to attach. If your ever in northern Ca I would give you a couple because I know you will care for them.
baby nem.jpg
Not gonna lie. This one was like Where’s Waldo for a hot second.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baby nem.jpg
Thanks, like I said, I'll try to turn the lights down to 20%, I don't want to go lower than that for fear my corals might give up and die, lol... But there are a few shaded spots in the tank it could have easily run to as well and it didn't... but at this point I am willing to give anything a try. Also, it's not a matter of anchoring/attaching. He does that every time he lands, and he keeps himself stuck for about 3 days and then says, nope, gonna go somewhere else, sometimes it's only 6-8" over, sometimes it's all the way over the other side of the tank, lol.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see about reducing them to 20% for a solid week though
Yes! you have some sweet lights that are very very powerful. unless you only have SPS you would never want to go up to 100.

Your nem is not in bad shape, just young, now you just need to get him to attach. If you didnt know, when lights are to bright they expell the good stuff that gives them color, so that would explain the slight decline you described. These are tough and bounce back quickly. You should have this now

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to go lower than that for fear my corals might give up and die
I would never suggest you do anything to harm your buddies. I know you are trying your best. I would not ask for similar intensity as mine.

If I didnt just go through all this myself 6 months ago, I would have never believed it. I didnt buy a single piece of coral all I did was turn my lights down from 80% down to 8% and look at the difference, its night and day.

I was so upset I almost quit because my tank never looked so bad. I had that lobo alive for over 30 years.
20210614_205547.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a white Entacmaea quadricolor a/k/a White acid wash bubble tip

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back