Anemone propagation

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't remember who specifically asked so I decided to just post in general. I recently began propagating anemones and was asked for pictures and advice. First of all I wouldn't even attempt owning let alone propagating unless you have a very stable tank with constant parameters and have done lots of research. I currently have 2 condylactis anemones(purple/pink my camera just sucks) which I chose to split. Let me know if you have any specific questions or past experience, I'm always open to others input
af30eb210b69a716e1d51b17414f1c08.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You propagated the Condy by cutting? What is the process for these anemone types. Honestly I have never heard of cutting condys.

Follow!!!! :)

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You propagated the Condy by cutting? What is the process for these anemone types. Honestly I have never heard of cutting condys.

Follow!!!! :)
Yep, I Use a brand new razor to make sure it's done in one smooth cut. You have to make sure it's down the middle so half of the mouth is on each side. That way when it heals it can still eat

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put it in a basket to heal. How old are the cuts in the image?

TIA

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put it in a basket to heal. How old are the cuts in the image?

TIA
No I put them back in the tank immediately after and kept pumps off until they got a hold (waves in the ocean don't stop for an anemone splitting) the cuts were made last Wednesday

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Condylactis reproduce by lateral fission in the wild?

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Condylactis reproduce by lateral fission in the wild?
Yes, also I do a water change the morning before i cut that night. Check parameters and make sure they're as good as I can get them so they heal quickly. Also I dose iodine once they're back in the tank

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I wait till that night because if you have ever tested right after a water change and then that night, things measure differently. You want your system balanced out before you make the cuts

garethwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! i wouldnt even dare to think about taking a razor blade to my condy! your a braver man than me. out of interest whats the deal with them splitting naturally? is there a size or age they need to get too or is it just down to conditions?
ive had one for 18mths or so, it was in my 50l now in my 100l for a yr and is reaching about 8-9 inches..

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! i wouldnt even dare to think about taking a razor blade to my condy! your a braver man than me. out of interest whats the deal with them splitting naturally? is there a size or age they need to get too or is it just down to conditions?
ive had one for 18mths or so, it was in my 50l now in my 100l for a yr and is reaching about 8-9 inches..
From the research I've done, putting it all together. There's no sure way of getting them to split, sometimes they split once evry 2 weeks sometimes it takes years

OP
OP
trevormass7

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I did a probably a months worth of research before i tried. But i plan on doin an anemone only tank with rbta and eventually selling them out, so I had to start somewhere

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back