Anemone propagation

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by trevormass7, Aug 12, 2017.

1. trevormass7

trevormass7 Well-Known Member

Couldn't remember who specifically asked so I decided to just post in general. I recently began propagating anemones and was asked for pictures and advice. First of all I wouldn't even attempt owning let alone propagating unless you have a very stable tank with constant parameters and have done lots of research. I currently have 2 condylactis anemones(purple/pink my camera just sucks) which I chose to split. Let me know if you have any specific questions or past experience, I'm always open to others input [​IMG]

Tahoe61 likes this.
    Tags:

2. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

You propagated the Condy by cutting? What is the process for these anemone types. Honestly I have never heard of cutting condys.

Follow!!!! :)

Paddy c likes this.
  3. trevormass7

Yep, I Use a brand new razor to make sure it's done in one smooth cut. You have to make sure it's down the middle so half of the mouth is on each side. That way when it heals it can still eat

Tahoe61 likes this.
  4. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Did you put it in a basket to heal. How old are the cuts in the image?

TIA

5. trevormass7

No I put them back in the tank immediately after and kept pumps off until they got a hold (waves in the ocean don't stop for an anemone splitting) the cuts were made last Wednesday

Tahoe61 likes this.
  6. Tahoe61

Do Condylactis reproduce by lateral fission in the wild?

7. trevormass7

Yes, also I do a water change the morning before i cut that night. Check parameters and make sure they're as good as I can get them so they heal quickly. Also I dose iodine once they're back in the tank

Tahoe61 likes this.
  8. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Cool nice to know

trevormass7 and Tahoe61 like this.
  9. trevormass7

And I wait till that night because if you have ever tested right after a water change and then that night, things measure differently. You want your system balanced out before you make the cuts

10. garethwood

garethwood Well-Known Member

wow! i wouldnt even dare to think about taking a razor blade to my condy! your a braver man than me. out of interest whats the deal with them splitting naturally? is there a size or age they need to get too or is it just down to conditions?
    ive had one for 18mths or so, it was in my 50l now in my 100l for a yr and is reaching about 8-9 inches..

11. trevormass7

From the research I've done, putting it all together. There's no sure way of getting them to split, sometimes they split once evry 2 weeks sometimes it takes years

12. trevormass7

Also I did a probably a months worth of research before i tried. But i plan on doin an anemone only tank with rbta and eventually selling them out, so I had to start somewhere

13. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

When you start let me know I really don't want a condylactis but might be interested in BT

14. trevormass7

I definitely will

Mark Gray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted