Anemone Recommendation

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a Biocube 29 that is crashing and i am planning a full reboot (dang Dinoflagellets). I have 2 Black and White clownfish that I've had for about a year and a half that will be going back into the tank and I would like to get them an anemone that they can hopefully host in and be happy!

So, my plan for the cube is a minimalist setup as far as live rock goes. This biocube was my first reef tank and i made essentially a giant rock structure in the display. It worked very well for me for a while, but I've learned a lot since then and think i can make a healthy system with other media and not have to have the tank packed to the brim with rock. I like open areas of sand and especially like rooted macroalgae (mermaid fans, pencil caps, etc...) and want to have a more open look to the new tank.

But I digress, my question is for all you anemone keepers. My anemone experience is only with Rock Flowers and a Maxi Mini. All are doing well, although I've found a couple RFAs move around a bit more than i was led to believe. I have 3 that have pretty much stayed put since arrival though. All 6 of my nems are alive and well, but I want a larger nem for the new cube.

I have been doing a lot of research on nems and think i have it narrowed down to 3 candidates:

Bubble Tip: Based on my research, obviously the most common and seemingly the hardiest of all larger nems. My concern about a BTA is they seem likely to move around a lot, especially when first added and I've seen a lot of people start with 1 and have it split and spread across the tank over time. As you all are aware, a 29 gallon can fill up quick. I will be reusing my MP-10 and I don't want a wandering nem to get chewed up and nuke the tank. I realize this can happen with any nem, but it seems like BTA's are more likely to wander into a powerhead.

Long Tentacle: Not as flashy as other nems, but i really like the look of them. Seems like they don't reproduce as much as BTA's and prefer to stay in the sand, so maybe a better chance of it staying put and away from the MP-10. Problem is I don't see a lot of folks with these nems so the info i am finding is limited.

Sebae: Seems to be a sand dweller like the LTA which i like. Nice color (I would aim to get a blue-tip), but not common and listed as a difficult nem.

So just looking for thoughts from experienced keepers, especially if you have a LTA or Sebae because they are my first choices. I will have other corals, but not many and I plan of the nem being the star of the show, so to speak. Thanks in advance for any advice.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are happy with our BTA's. We picked both up from the lfs' for a song and dance (sump rescues). They were about this size of a quarter and attached where we placed them and has never moved. But, has you mentioned they have split, we have 4 now, plus a Green BTA. We had a lta years ago but it wasn't, as you said as flashy. I have never owned a Sebae.

Screenshot_20180628-221712.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a Biocube 29 that is crashing and i am planning a full reboot (dang Dinoflagellets). I have 2 Black and White clownfish that I've had for about a year and a half that will be going back into the tank and I would like to get them an anemone that they can hopefully host in and be happy!

So, my plan for the cube is a minimalist setup as far as live rock goes. This biocube was my first reef tank and i made essentially a giant rock structure in the display. It worked very well for me for a while, but I've learned a lot since then and think i can make a healthy system with other media and not have to have the tank packed to the brim with rock. I like open areas of sand and especially like rooted macroalgae (mermaid fans, pencil caps, etc...) and want to have a more open look to the new tank.

But I digress, my question is for all you anemone keepers. My anemone experience is only with Rock Flowers and a Maxi Mini. All are doing well, although I've found a couple RFAs move around a bit more than i was led to believe. I have 3 that have pretty much stayed put since arrival though. All 6 of my nems are alive and well, but I want a larger nem for the new cube.

I have been doing a lot of research on nems and think i have it narrowed down to 3 candidates:

Bubble Tip: Based on my research, obviously the most common and seemingly the hardiest of all larger nems. My concern about a BTA is they seem likely to move around a lot, especially when first added and I've seen a lot of people start with 1 and have it split and spread across the tank over time. As you all are aware, a 29 gallon can fill up quick. I will be reusing my MP-10 and I don't want a wandering nem to get chewed up and nuke the tank. I realize this can happen with any nem, but it seems like BTA's are more likely to wander into a powerhead.

Long Tentacle: Not as flashy as other nems, but i really like the look of them. Seems like they don't reproduce as much as BTA's and prefer to stay in the sand, so maybe a better chance of it staying put and away from the MP-10. Problem is I don't see a lot of folks with these nems so the info i am finding is limited.

Sebae: Seems to be a sand dweller like the LTA which i like. Nice color (I would aim to get a blue-tip), but not common and listed as a difficult nem.

So just looking for thoughts from experienced keepers, especially if you have a LTA or Sebae because they are my first choices. I will have other corals, but not many and I plan of the nem being the star of the show, so to speak. Thanks in advance for any advice.
In a 29 gal cube, I would recommended a H. malu. Two anemones have common name of Sebae: H. crispa and H. malu.
Crispa is a large anemone which live on the rock, no sand. Most anemone sold as Sebae are Crispa. Occasionally, there is a Malu available. Malu is a sand bed anemone that get to about 7-8 inced only. They dwell in the sand and does not need really high light or high current. Percula and Ocellaris readily go into Malu anemones. This is the anemone I recommended for a 29 gal cube tank.

Last edited:
Back