Anemone Shedding? Being “choked”?

August_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new the the saltwater aquarium scene. I have a 120g with a large (4”) naso tang, a large (5”) heniochus butterfly, a cardinalfish, a pair of clowns, a tomini tang, and a lawnmower goby. My clowns hang out in the corner, and I wanted them to move around a bit more so I decided I’d try an anemone and hope they host.

The anemone has been relatively healthy looking (I think). He’s been eating and pooping, which is a good sign. I’ve tried planting him up in a nook of a rock, he wiggled off. Next I tried planting him in the sand, he wiggled out. I’m now leaving him to his own devices to find where he likes best. He’s moved around quite a bit, but hasn’t planted. I’m not too worried since it’s only been about a week and a half or so. What I am worried about is this tissue accumulating near the base of his foot. It happened right after I put him in. It wasn’t attached to him, just kind of hanging off, so I removed it with some plastic forceps. The same stuff is accumulating again around the base (pictures attached), and it looks like it’s choking the nem, or constricting it. Is this normal? Should I leave it be or should I perform a little maintenance and clean him up? I would appreciate any feedback.
1B2CA768-24CD-4647-A6F7-5EEB3920729D.jpeg
8D6E16A9-C6F5-4006-BEDA-D7CB7AB4C0E3.jpeg
1F6FD604-CFB1-4111-ACCE-502AD46AE28B.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a buildup of mucus and sand. Perfectly normal. You can clean if you want too. That looks like an lta which would prefer to be buried in the sand under a hard surface like a rock. Hth.

OP
OP
August_S

August_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks. Would it hurt to add more sand? I’ve got about 2 inches of sand around most of the tank. 3 inches in some parts.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back