Anemone tank design challenge!

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scenario: Anemone heaven.

Challenge: How do you build the tank for optimal health of anemone with minimal active maintenance?
Goal: Showcase one organism specifically and have it flourish without restraint.

Budget: Something reasonable.

Species: Chose your anemone, only one type allowed.

In submitting please explain your reasoning for each aspect of the tank.
  • tank size
  • anemone type
  • tank contents: sand rock macro whatever
  • companion fish
  • light
  • filtration including media
  • How to minimize needed maintenance and personal interaction.
  • etc

If you think fish are crucial, include them. If sand is, what type and why? Should macro algae be there with a collection of scallops; you tell us how you decided this.

More other stuff, lets avoid saying 99999999 gallons and silliness like this. Reasonable budget should be considered under $5,000 but more likely under $2,000 is likely realistic for people. Maybe go for the smallest size tank that will not restrict from the goal. This does not mean nano, however 500 gallon is probably excessive and wasteful, initially.

So how would you do it? Which would you chose? How will you filter it, does it need an Apex controller?

I'm proposing this scenario to the community because I think it could be a fun brainstorming activity. I plan to set up a tank for this purpose sometime in July and have started planning mine. It seems there is a fair amount of flexibility but I could not find too many good threads focused on a tank from the group up without "limits" constraining design. Harem tanks and such are similar to this, but always seem to favor the fish in the design over the anemone. This influences the tank's design and aesthetic to a large degree. I'm hoping to avoid that, and if clowns are allowed in, they need to be considered a guest, not the focus. Same with anything else associated with the tank.

So, How would you set up a tank for the luckies anemone alive? How will you chose what anemone that is to be (hypothetically)

-Andrew

Last edited:

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have a 55 gallon aquarium with a live rock structure and a magnificent carpet anemone taking up most of the tank with a ocellarus clownfish harem with about 5-6 clownfish in it
Not to split hairs but do you mean a Gig or haddoin carpet nem? Mags are not carpets ;)

Mine started out nems first and everything else came after to fill in the reef haha :)
Thread 'The Clown Circus has come to town!!'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-clown-circus-has-come-to-town.798245/

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I am trying to create this lol definitely anemone focused, things I wish I had would be a gyre / wave maker than operates in bursts rather than constant water flow , I think anemones prefer that and respond better. Another change I would like is a back rock wall to have an anemone wall, I see gsp/ zoas but never strictly btas. I think sexy shrimp would be good / clownish or black/white damsel school. Another improvement would be a macro algae DT hooked up to the anemone tank ( I have a small refugium)

Attachments

• ABB2BCB5-5771-4E46-B230-F74115A54605.jpeg
    ABB2BCB5-5771-4E46-B230-F74115A54605.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 80
  • BC729413-8C88-44C5-BA35-296944F0A2CF.jpeg
    BC729413-8C88-44C5-BA35-296944F0A2CF.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 79

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a deep sand bed (fine). Add a few rocks piles for attaching. I would set different flow rates at either end of the tank as well. Would love a large carpet to dig out a spot in the sand between the rock piles. Maybe then plant some flower nems on the piles. The whole thing would really be a shrine to the carpet.

OP
OP
a hill

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
a hill

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I am trying to create this lol definitely anemone focused, things I wish I had would be a gyre / wave maker than operates in bursts rather than constant water flow , I think anemones prefer that and respond better. Another change I would like is a back rock wall to have an anemone wall, I see gsp/ zoas but never strictly btas. I think sexy shrimp would be good / clownish or black/white damsel school. Another improvement would be a macro algae DT hooked up to the anemone tank ( I have a small refugium)
The back rock wall is a neat idea. Could be done by slicing all the Rock and attaching it to the tank. You just would ideally need some LARGE pieces to slice in a way that you fill the back and keep it looking like a bunch of rock glued to make a wall. Or maybe you embrace the "wall" scape and make it out of flats stacked, but that would limit the usefulness of live rock. I do have access to the appropriate stonecutting tools... Also a supply of oolithic limestone blocks (100+ pounders).

-Andrew

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back rock wall is a neat idea. Could be done by slicing all the Rock and attaching it to the tank. You just would ideally need some LARGE pieces to slice in a way that you fill the back and keep it looking like a bunch of rock glued to make a wall. Or maybe you embrace the "wall" scape and make it out of flats stacked, but that would limit the usefulness of live rock. I do have access to the appropriate stonecutting tools... Also a supply of oolithic limestone blocks (100+ pounders).

-Andrew
Would make for a very bright background and would pair well with a negative space aquascape. Possibly the sand bed could consist of tube nems but then it wouldn’t be all BTAs haha , I was thinking a 3D printer possibly for the back wall? If you get aquarium appropriate material, cichlid tanks form freshwater gave me the idea for a saltwater back rock wall

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like my system is basically this. I have a pair of ~12" Haddoni in my 40B, with a pair of Clarkki Clowns, Melanarus wrasse, and Small Tomini Tang (temporary). There are a few corals, but the system is definitely to showcase the Haddoni. Things I would do differently in the future:

1. Upgrade to a 75g tank
2. Drill for a closed loop to eliminate powerheads (aka anemone killers)
3. Use a filter roller instead of socks or floss
4. Use biomedia in the sump to allow more open sand in display.
5. Add a couple more Haddoni in red, purple, or blue.

I would keep basically the same fish, use an ATO and skimmer, and if possible in the space, employ an AWC system.
20210319_122427.jpg

Last edited:

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
a hill

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would make for a very bright background and would pair well with a negative space aquascape. Possibly the sand bed could consist of tube nems but then it wouldn’t be all BTAs haha , I was thinking a 3D printer possibly for the back wall? If you get aquarium appropriate material, cichlid tanks form freshwater gave me the idea for a saltwater back rock wall
Lets say is was a 2’ cube or so. I would take a stone as large as that then cut it down to fit into the tank, then slice it so I could easily place it into the tank.

I would probably do something pretty modern and geometric. To be honest, this is my plan for a future display tank funny enough.

Maybe forms like these monolith renderings.
E8F030A7-F17F-4BE7-AABC-147663313D4A.jpeg

D29E2AE9-397E-415F-9EFF-2ED03C65398B.jpeg

credit: https://www.chilearq.com/westofwest/illustration/2301/Monoliths/

massive live rock forms from a back wall with some sections being shaped to hold the foot of an anemone.

The anemone tank I plan to do will have very modern rock design.

-Andrew

OP
OP
a hill

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like my system is basically this. I have a pair of ~12" Haddoni in my 40B, with a pair of Clarkki Clowns, Melanarus wrasse, and Small Tomini Tang (temporary). There are a few corals, but the system is definitely to showcase the Haddoni. Things I would do differently in the future:

1. Upgrade to a 75g tank
2. Drill for a closed loop to eliminate powerheads (aka anemone killers)
3. Use a filter roller instead of socks or floss
4. Use biomedia in the sump to allow more open sand in display.
5. Add a couple more Haddoni in red, purple, or blue.

I would keep basically the same fish, use an ATO and skimmer, and if possible in the space, employ an AWC system.
20210319_122427.jpg
Thank you for your thorough answer. When you upgrade I think you should consider a 120 or even 180, you’ll be happy you did.

In the future, would you reduce the live rock in the display if you had a large sum with bio filtration and or a refuge?

That’s a beautiful simple anemone tank!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say is was a 2’ cube or so. I would take a stone as large as that then cut it down to fit into the tank, then slice it so I could easily place it into the tank.

I would probably do something pretty modern and geometric. To be honest, this is my plan for a future display tank funny enough.

Maybe forms like these monolith renderings.
E8F030A7-F17F-4BE7-AABC-147663313D4A.jpeg

D29E2AE9-397E-415F-9EFF-2ED03C65398B.jpeg

credit: https://www.chilearq.com/westofwest/illustration/2301/Monoliths/

massive live rock forms from a back wall with some sections being shaped to hold the foot of an anemone.

The anemone tank I plan to do will have very modern rock design.

-Andrew

-Andrew
That sounds super cool and would love to see it in action

OP
OP
a hill

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds super cool and would love to see it in action
I think it’s possible if you’re in florida especially. I’m not sure on the feasibility of getting limestone by the pallet shipped to me for one tank. But I would start with this. I believe this is the same source as most of the life rock and dry rock.
D5BA8C5F-A042-47CB-9707-4C46A19B4D13.jpeg

Then just start carving and cutting away!
-Andrew

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scenario: Anemone heaven.

Challenge: How do you build the tank for optimal health of anemone with minimal active maintenance?
Goal: Showcase one organism specifically and have it flourish without restraint.

Budget: Something reasonable.

Species: Chose your anemone, only one type allowed.

In submitting please explain your reasoning for each aspect of the tank.
  • tank size
  • anemone type
  • tank contents: sand rock macro whatever
  • companion fish
  • light
  • filtration including media
  • How to minimize needed maintenance and personal interaction.
  • etc

If you think fish are crucial, include them. If sand is, what type and why? Should macro algae be there with a collection of scallops; you tell us how you decided this.

More other stuff, lets avoid saying 99999999 gallons and silliness like this. Reasonable budget should be considered under $5,000 but more likely under $2,000 is likely realistic for people. Maybe go for the smallest size tank that will not restrict from the goal. This does not mean nano, however 500 gallon is probably excessive and wasteful, initially.

So how would you do it? Which would you chose? How will you filter it, does it need an Apex controller?

I'm proposing this scenario to the community because I think it could be a fun brainstorming activity. I plan to set up a tank for this purpose sometime in July and have started planning mine. It seems there is a fair amount of flexibility but I could not find too many good threads focused on a tank from the group up without "limits" constraining design. Harem tanks and such are similar to this, but always seem to favor the fish in the design over the anemone. This influences the tank's design and aesthetic to a large degree. I'm hoping to avoid that, and if clowns are allowed in, they need to be considered a guest, not the focus. Same with anything else associated with the tank.

So, How would you set up a tank for the luckies anemone alive? How will you chose what anemone that is to be (hypothetically)

-Andrew
There is one video in YouTube with just anemones and it looks lit. I think the tank is like 20 g, looks great. Look for it is really famous.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your thorough answer. When you upgrade I think you should consider a 120 or even 180, you’ll be happy you did.

In the future, would you reduce the live rock in the display if you had a large sum with bio filtration and or a refuge?

That’s a beautiful simple anemone tank!
I have done larger tanks before and just don't want to go down that road again. Maybe a 4' 120g. I would absolutely use less rock if the sump had the space for a lot of biomedia in it's place

OP
OP
a hill

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done larger tanks before and just don't want to go down that road again. Maybe a 4' 120g. I would absolutely use less rock if the sump had the space for a lot of biomedia in it's place
There is a 4x4x3 or so available right now. It’s got some issues, but that size would be incredible for what you’re talking about. However, that’s a massive footprint.

Bigger tanks can be a pain for certain.

-Andrew

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a 4x4x3 or so available right now. It’s got some issues, but that size would be incredible for what you’re talking about. However, that’s a massive footprint.

Bigger tanks can be a pain for certain.

-Andrew
A 4' cube that is 36" tall sounds like a NIGHTMARE to me. I would have to get out the snorkel and mask to do anything in the tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back