Anemone training for a marathon.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice on this is to use an acclimation box in your DT or in a barebottom QT with your powerhead/heater separate by an eggcrate.

Usually anemones that are shipped are stressed and less sticky so it would take longer for them to anchor down. Whereas a well established anemone that you just move will be stickier and more likely to plant its foot where you put it. This obviously only works to a degree in that certain species are more prone to move than others.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an anemone from WWC and I can't seem to make it stay in one spot. It has found a spot behind the rocks and won't come out. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to make the anemone to stay in one spot? It's like a little kid running through the house and can't seem to make it stop unless you give the kid candy. Soo what's the candy(tips or tricks) for the anemone? Thank you.
I can't really speak as knowledgeably as the others, but my experience with mine is that in approximately 3 months he has slowly moved about 8-10 inches around a small rock. Unfortunately he has decided to hang out right at the base of one of my torches and he ain't happy. The torch that is

Df1577

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of my bubble tips have moved from where I placed them, they have been in my tank about 3 months and grown a bit. They are in a spot with random intermittent flow, a deep crevasse and very intense lighting so maybe that's why they decided to stay put. I don't feed them directly, but they have been growing so they must not care.

Tilor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have many bubble tips and rock flowers so let me help

Bubbletips will walk until they find these 3 things
1. Optimal light
2. Optimal flow
3. A deep crevice/hole for the foot

If this is a biocube with stock lights, that's not going to keep the nem happy and it will continue to move. I suggest a minimum of an AI Prime (non-HD is fine).

Flow is usually okay in any tank. If you have some kind of euphyllia doing well then theres enough flow for a nem dont worry about this one too much

If your rocks are very smooth, boulder type, or artificial then chances are that you will need to place some holey live rock in there to provide a secure place for the anemone to attach its foot. Pukani is my favorite but rubble, wet live rock, dry rock, just any kind of rock with deep crevices will be perfect. If you can see it's foot, chances are that the nem isn't really happy and will continue to move. When my nems settle permanently I cannot see the exact point of attachment. When they shrivel up at night to sleep, they almost disappear because the foot is so deep in the rock. This is true for rainbows, CSB, Sunset Strip, Black Widow, etc BTA and probably all of them since the names are just color morphs and they are all the same species.

I do recommend feeding at least 1x per week but this is not necessary and many people dont do it. Personally, I feed mine every day or every other day with LRS nano reef frenzy or mysis shrimp and it produces large bubbles, vibrant colors, and extreme speckling.

Rock flowers are unlike bubble tips in that they do not split to reproduce. They will only reproduce through timed spawning events which according to the Rock Flower thread by Ron Reefman, may coincide with the equinoxes. These also need the Big 3 of the BTA but do not need as much light. Pretty much any light will keep a RFA happy. I recommend feeding them at least 2x per week (I use just one mysis shrimp per nem) so they keep their colors. I found that mine began to wither away when I did not provide this feeding and now they are all happy and healthy.

Hope this helps!
What do you do when your bubbletip decides to get on a live active Mexican turbo snails shell. Mine has been on there for a couple days taking a ride around the tank.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when your bubbletip decides to get on a live active Mexican turbo snails shell. Mine has been on there for a couple days taking a ride around the tank.
Yeah, they’re not the most intelligent. It’ll probably try to hop off soon. You’re sure it’s a bubble tip and not a hitchhiker anemone species like those carried by hermit occasionally?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the best way is to place them where they can attach there foot under a rock on in a hole in a rock. Where they can reach out for light and food. Where they can retract for protection with good flow around them. They move when they are not happy with their conditions. Not getting enough light is one common reason.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a BTA into our 120g tank about 6 weeks ago. Placed it in a spot on my rockwork that I thought would be nice for it. Stayed there about 12 hours then moved onto the back glass and over the next 6 hours proceeded to squeeze itself through a 1/8” gap in my overflow cover into the overflow. Sat there for a couple of weeks then disappeared. Found it 2 weeks later in one of my filter mesh socks - had crawled through the overflow piping, over rubble into the sock.

I put it back in the tank in a new location. Much chastened it stayed put for nearly a week. It has since moved around nearly every part of the new rock stack trying to find it’s Goldilocks place.

Nems. meh. What more can I say. At least it survived it’s adventure. Hopefully it will find somewhere it likes and our Occ Clowns will discover it.

Mike9976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my BTA in an optimal spot for a few days, then he wandered, from one side to the other then back then **poof** gone, wasn't in the overflow, used a blacklight flash to see if he luminated in the back, then noticed my clown wasn't hanging in any specific spot and he took to the BTA also so im assuming he's DOA and the clean up crew took care of the remnants. Not sure what happened to it. I have hammers, frogspawn and torches in the tank that are doing well. No clue what happened to it

Mike9976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, theres a company out there that sells an "anemone rock" but by the time I received it. He was gone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably shrunk back into your rock work somewhere.

OP
OP
Eagle.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Mexican turbo snail is running a taxi business. Congrats.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, When my anemone was on the move I waited for an opportune moment and uses some smaller rocks to build a cave around it. They kind of settled in.

OP
OP
Eagle.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, When my anemone was on the move I waited for an opportune moment and uses some smaller rocks to build a cave around it. They kind of settled in.
Ill try that thanks. Mine is starting to move again.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try that thanks. Mine is starting to move again.
Trapped! You can see the cave I erected around him. He's stayed put for a few days and we're both pretty beat. So, I'm going to leave him there for a few days and then we'll start again.
IMG_20201205_152252011.jpg

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick I sometimes do is to cover it with a rock without hurting it. Deprived of light it will move out of its spot onto the rock or elsewhere.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back