Anemones closed up

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross posted from the chemistry forum...

So both of my BTA Anemones have been healthy and in the same spot for over a year, the only thing that’s changed in the tank recently is added 2 clowns out of quarantine. Not many other corals, a few zoas and an acan. For the past 5 days both anemones have been completely closed, still attached to the rock and in the same spot. One slightly extended once, but that’s it. It’s a 35 gallon cube, 10g sump. I’ve changed out 10 gallons water over the past 3 days.

Parameters
78 degrees
1.024 salinity
Nitrites and nitrate 0
PO4 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.0
Alkalinity 5 (performed 2x) test is expired so going to LFS to confirm this today, also tested fresh mixed water with the same result, so I do not believe that it is this low, or the issue.
Calcium 460

Reef crystals salt

I’ve been trying to raise nutrients lately, shortened fuge lighting and removed 50% of the chaeto.

Any ideas what the issue could be? Going to confirm the alk at the LFS today, but I’m sure that it’s low because of the expired test kit.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF your alk is low, that could be the problem, but if it is not, my guess would be that your clowns are over-loving your nems. Depending on how big they are, and how big the nems are, the clowns can seriously beat up the nem if they get too overzealous. Also, how low do your test kits go? What kind are they? some test kits do not have a very high resolution, so it may seem like they are zero, but actually are not.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF your alk is low, that could be the problem, but if it is not, my guess would be that your clowns are over-loving your nems. Depending on how big they are, and how big the nems are, the clowns can seriously beat up the nem if they get too overzealous. Also, how low do your test kits go? What kind are they? some test kits do not have a very high resolution, so it may seem like they are zero, but actually are not.

Alk at LFS came back at 8.

I haven’t seen the clowns go anywhere near them. They sit in the corners all day lol.

Thanks

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you already know the issue as you have cut your fuge light and removed chaeto. Need to get your nutrients up...good luck.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back