Anemones dark in colour doesn’t look right

Berry96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I’m a little stuck, and not sure what to do. My perms are all good my corals are all thriving but I have an issue with my anemones?? Just the nems which is weird no change to lighting either and they have been in the tank for about 4 months

My BTA anemones seem to have gone a dark colour and are starting to thinen out which is worrying me a little. They have been like this the past week, I thought they was just having a moment where they deflate but it’s been to long so I know there is defiantly something wrong. Has anyone had any issues like this and what did you to solve it.

Attached some images so you can see what I’m looking at

Thanks

DC22A6FD-19ED-4C35-A500-861C75FFF137.jpeg 699A6C2E-3C39-4CE3-AE9E-B02A27FBC60C.jpeg 217362DE-A361-4ECC-AA15-FCD190B59387.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Berry96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can do that from time to time. Losing the ‘bubbles’ is also fairly common, but no one really knows why this sometimes happens.
Ah thanks, do you think they should be fine? Or is there anything I can do they use to be a really vibrant colour but for some reason this week they look terrible

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thanks, do you think they should be fine? Or is there anything I can do they use to be a really vibrant colour but for some reason this week they look terrible
I think they should, yes. Unless they're shrivelling up you really don't need to be too terribly concerned. I don't know if you supplemental feed, but they do enjoy a tiny morsel of mysis once or twice a week. I also supplement mine with phytoplankton and calanus daily (not directly - but into the water column, so they do snag some).

I have two bubbletips that have gone from a bubblegum color to dark red - mainly because one of the adjacent corals ticked them off so they both decided to move to the back of the tank.

OP
OP
B

Berry96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should, yes. Unless they're shrivelling up you really don't need to be too terribly concerned. I don't know if you supplemental feed, but they do enjoy a tiny morsel of mysis once or twice a week. I also supplement mine with phytoplankton and calanus daily (not directly - but into the water column, so they do snag some).

I have two bubbletips that have gone from a bubblegum color to dark red - mainly because one of the adjacent corals ticked them off so they both decided to move to the back of the tank.
Ah thanks for that, yeah i feed anemone pellets weekly so I’ll give that a try. no I don’t supplement any phytoplankton and calanus I’ll try some of that if it benefits them a little! Good shout thanks mate!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing your actual parameters and lighting being used any advice is just a shot in the dark.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never directly feed my BTA. 2 have turned into 7, ranging in 4" to 12" in diameter.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color loss is directly related to the photosynthetic organism that live in the BTA, (know the name but don't want to butcher the spelling).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are reasons they lose color. Main reason #1 is a tank that is not mature and going through nitrate spikes as tank is seeding. Additionally . . . . . Anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is also a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Bubble Tip Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F -79°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back