Anenome got tenticles cut off in powerhead.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I wanted to see if the abenome will be okay and if there's anything special I need to do for it.
Yesterday I came home to the anenome in the front of the tank looking like the image. He used to be in the back left corner under the small powerhead.
I guess sometime during the day he came out of the sand and got sucked into it.
This morning he has moved to the top of the tank by one of my stylos. But he is all scrunched up flat.
The second image shows where he used to be. He was in the right side in the back.
I upgraded the tank a week and a half ago. But he has been in the same spot for the past week. He just moved down off the purple rock where he was last attached in previous tank.

20231101_174124.jpg 20231026_205648.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he's staying put, leave him be to recover. if he decides to wander more, put him in an isolation box in the tank so he doesn't end up getting chopped up again while attempting to recover. just my $0.02. Also, you definitely wanna put some covers on any powerhead hazards to prevent this in the future, anemones will move when they want to and it often happens when you aren't watching.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he's staying put, leave him be to recover. if he decides to wander more, put him in an isolation box in the tank so he doesn't end up getting chopped up again while attempting to recover. just my $0.02. Also, you definitely wanna put some covers on any powerhead hazards to prevent this in the future, anemones will move when they want to and it often happens when you aren't watching.
I've learned the covers for my neros don't fully protect the anenome.
I'm just surprised that he fully detached and didn't just move through the sand like usual.
Before I upgraded my tank the anenome was right against the big powerhead.

It's also not the firstt time it's seen the powerhead. The first week I had it it got into all 3 of the powerheads I had.

Attachments

• 20231014_133722.jpg
    20231014_133722.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 20

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned the covers for my neros don't fully protect the anenome.
I'm just surprised that he fully detached and didn't just move through the sand like usual.
Before I upgraded my tank the anenome was right against the big powerhead.

It's also not the firstt time it's seen the powerhead. The first week I had it it got into all 3 of the powerheads I had.
I agree the covers do not fully protect, but they can prevent physical "chopping", and you only have to deal with him getting sucked onto the cover and "pancaked" which tends to be less catastrophic in my experience. Anemones REALLY don't like changes, so the new tank move was certainly the catalyst for his migration.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the covers do not fully protect, but they can prevent physical "chopping", and you only have to deal with him getting sucked onto the cover and "pancaked" which tends to be less catastrophic in my experience. Anemones REALLY don't like changes, so the new tank move was certainly the catalyst for his migration.
Also might have been a little to do with how much I fed it the other day.
I know alot of anenomes are sensitive to feeding and mine has always been.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also might have been a little to do with how much I fed it the other day.
I know alot of anenomes are sensitive to feeding and mine has always been.
this is also true. I've found that large pieces of food tend to get them "active", and not always in a good way! I have better luck with giving them mysis rather than a chunk of shrimp

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is also true. I've found that large pieces of food tend to get them "active", and not always in a good way! I have better luck with giving them mysis rather than a chunk of shrimp
I've always found that most of the time my anenome eats the shed from my cleaner and fire shrimp.
They molt super often. But I still feed the anenome 1once a week or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back