"anenome"-ish grwth appeared in my tank - what is it?

Dude64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40gal reef with 4 Molly, 3 crab, and a variety of snail in my 1 yr old established tank. This guy (close up on right) and a few friends seem to have appeared from nowhere (snail hitchhiker I presume), but I haven't a clue what it actually is. I have never had (bought) anenome in this tank. He is about 3/8-1/2" tall atm.

Screenshot_20220417-122236_Gallery.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off all flow/pumps and then just squirt some H2O2 or lemon juice directly into their mouth. Let that dissolve them for a couple minutes, then do it again to get their foot that is buried in the hole. If you leave anything behind, they will regrow after a few weeks. H2O2 and lemon juice are cheap and I always have some on hand. They do a good enough job that I've never felt the need to buy any overpriced aiptasia specific products.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in my tank. I like them though. as long as they dont get out of hand I consider them just part of the community.
I don’t have any in my new tank but I agree I liked them in my old one they’re kinda cool looking and they’re the only anemone I can keep alive lol

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aspasia anenome, very bad and spreads fast. Try to get rid of it as soon as possible before it spreads, there are lots of different strategies to getting rid of them, my favourite being:

Put boiling water into an eye dropper or syringe, then spray it on the anenome. The anenome should retract into its hole, after that smother glue over the hole, this works well.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really hate them that chemical apista x or whatever kills then in a sec …I’d only use it on the ones that close to my real corals bc man do those little buggers have some sting

OP
OP
Dude64

Dude64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40gal reef with 4 Molly, 3 crab, and a variety of snail in my 1 yr old established tank. This guy (close up on right) and a few friends seem to have appeared from nowhere (snail hitchhiker I presume), but I haven't a clue what it actually is. I have never had (bought) anenome in this tank. He is about 3/8-1/2" tall atm.

Thanks all replies... Aiptasia pretty sure, but I (so far) control them simply by spot treating with Boiling RO... I keep the one and even tried feeding him while feeding hammer... granted the two swimming buddies are at extreme opposite sides of tank.

VictoriaW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aptasia. KILL IT ASAP

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back