Anenome killed my tank

eli_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Hello guys my fish tank had 2 anenome in it now 1 one of them died overnight when I woke up all I found was peices of him in the filter intake but 2 days later all fish and even snails are dead this is tragic could someone please tell me what I should do image.jpg image.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry for your loss. This is the risk with anemones- if they die and melt, they can create enough ammonia to kill everything else.

A large water change will remove most of the ammonia, and your biofilter will handle the rest. I would remove anything that looks to be freshly dead and put it into a container of clean water, just in case it's not actually dead and can still revive. Keep an eye on that remaining anemone, and if it starts to look goopy, pull it out quick.

OP
OP
E

eli_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. This is the risk with anemones- if they die and melt, they can create enough ammonia to kill everything else.

A large water change will remove most of the ammonia, and your biofilter will handle the rest. I would remove anything that looks to be freshly dead and put it into a container of clean water, just in case it's not actually dead and can still revive. Keep an eye on that remaining anemone, and if it starts to look goopy, pull it out quick.
It already is looking poor so I will pull it out

OP
OP
E

eli_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also found 1 trooper I don’t have a backup tank so I just made a gallon of saltwater and put him in it let me know if there is anything I should do with him thank you much

OP
OP
E

eli_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to ask so many questions but also my tank is a 35 gal how many gallons would you recommend I change

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have any living animals that need the tank to be habitable again, change as much water as you possibly can, making sure to siphon out all the anemone goop (check inside your filter compartments), then test the ammonia level to make sure it's gone.

If whatever you've put in the 1 gallon of water is a fish, it needs a lid and probably some aeration. If it's a snail or other invert, it'll be fine in the gallon alone for a bit.

Also, for future reference, you don't need to quote someone who's directly above you. Quotes are for when it might otherwise be unclear who you're responding to or what you're talking about. Lots of questions are fine, but quoting every time is a bit unnecessary.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If an anemone just dies it’s unlikely to nuke your tank unless you let it fully rot and your bio filter is woefully undersized (easy enough to do an ammonia test to see). If it gets puréed by your pumps then the nematocysts are broadcast around the tank and they can certainly do in your fish. I’ve only had this happen once and was able to remove most of the anemone and minimize the damage. I’d change as much water as you can and run a poly filter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back