Anenome shrinking quickly

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in tank 2 days seemed healthy gave it half of one krill, now its shrinking and has moved abit, I don't know why help me water parameters are fine 0 nitrite 15ppm nitrate calc 380ppm alk 10° dkh 0 ammonia

16238625782531951362961167596345.jpg 20210615_144036.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are weird, they inflate and deflate all the time. I wouldn't freak out about it yet. Give it some time to get used to its new surroundings. It still looks healthy to me. They start to get slimy and dissolve when they are really sick.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are weird, they inflate and deflate all the time. I wouldn't freak out about it yet. Give it some time to get used to its new surroundings.
Okay I'm terrified cause when I was younger my dad had a 12 gallon hex and a healthy nem then it cuts its foot, died and nuked his tank, I also really love this anenome

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm terrified cause when I was younger my dad had a 12 gallon hex and a healthy nem then it cuts its foot, died and nuked his tank, I also really love this anenome
Best thing to do is leave it alone.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is leave it alone.
Okay, I'll keep a
They do their own thing. I got worried about mine and eventually left them alone and they are happy. I have 3 BTA at the moment.
Ok, question I've been using api test kits for calc. Nitrate and nitrite, is that bad? I'm worried there incorrect

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still very new to nems, but I'll share my experience here and maybe it will help! I had an Evo 13.5 and was also using the stock lighting. Had some Euphyllia in there that was happy and my parameters were stable and good, so I decided to try a BTA. The first one I ordered online and seemed unhappy when it arrived. It rapidly found its way into a cave and stayed there inflating and deflating multiple times a day for the next week until it very definitively died. I was lucky in that I was able to scoop it out pretty much immediately. Did a big water change, waited a month, then picked up an RBTA from my LFS on the rationale that the first one may have just not shipped well. Second one was definitely healthy when it went into my tank--and did the exact same thing as the first BTA, crawled into a (different) cave, puffed up and shriveled, and died about a week after being introduced to the tank. Decided I might as well take the opportunity to upgrade the tank to a 20 gallon hex, moved over all of my LR and water, plus the euphyllia, waited a week to make sure everything was testing well, and tried one last time for a BTA from the same LFS (same tank even) as #2. That BTA has been thriving in the new tank since I added it, with completely different behavior that makes it very clear that something was wrong for my first two nems from as soon as they hit the tank.

The biggest different between my Evo and the hex? On the Evo I ran the stock lights, and on the Hex I'm running a Nicrew HyperReef. Watching the new nem and the Euphyllia under the HyperReef has me completely convinced that the Evo stock lighting was actually scorching the nems and my Euphyllia (the HyperReef is much higher wattage but I have it dialed down to 10% and the tank depth difference is massive). The Evo stock lighting is pretty low wattage so I'm honestly baffled at how it could have been the problem, but the nems behavior seems to have been saying the lights were too bright in that tank, and everything is doing so much better in the hex.

So if you want to try troubleshooting, I would suggest leaving the stock light off and just running your actinics for a few days, or putting a screen between the light and the tank top. Honestly feels really counter-intuitive to me because nems generally require pretty high lighting, and I'm by no means experienced with them, so please feel free to disregard my suggestion if it doesn't seem to make sense for your tank/nem. One happy note is that your nem does look happier than my first two ever did--it definitely doesn't look like its on its way out to me. I would not try any more direct intervention, just maybe giving it a short break on the lights.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still very new to nems, but I'll share my experience here and maybe it will help! I had an Evo 13.5 and was also using the stock lighting. Had some Euphyllia in there that was happy and my parameters were stable and good, so I decided to try a BTA. The first one I ordered online and seemed unhappy when it arrived. It rapidly found its way into a cave and stayed there inflating and deflating multiple times a day for the next week until it very definitively died. I was lucky in that I was able to scoop it out pretty much immediately. Did a big water change, waited a month, then picked up an RBTA from my LFS on the rationale that the first one may have just not shipped well. Second one was definitely healthy when it went into my tank--and did the exact same thing as the first BTA, crawled into a (different) cave, puffed up and shriveled, and died about a week after being introduced to the tank. Decided I might as well take the opportunity to upgrade the tank to a 20 gallon hex, moved over all of my LR and water, plus the euphyllia, waited a week to make sure everything was testing well, and tried one last time for a BTA from the same LFS (same tank even) as #2. That BTA has been thriving in the new tank since I added it, with completely different behavior that makes it very clear that something was wrong for my first two nems from as soon as they hit the tank.

The biggest different between my Evo and the hex? On the Evo I ran the stock lights, and on the Hex I'm running a Nicrew HyperReef. Watching the new nem and the Euphyllia under the HyperReef has me completely convinced that the Evo stock lighting was actually scorching the nems and my Euphyllia (the HyperReef is much higher wattage but I have it dialed down to 10% and the tank depth difference is massive). The Evo stock lighting is pretty low wattage so I'm honestly baffled at how it could have been the problem, but the nems behavior seems to have been saying the lights were too bright in that tank, and everything is doing so much better in the hex.

So if you want to try troubleshooting, I would suggest leaving the stock light off and just running your actinics for a few days, or putting a screen between the light and the tank top. Honestly feels really counter-intuitive to me because nems generally require pretty high lighting, and I'm by no means experienced with them, so please feel free to disregard my suggestion if it doesn't seem to make sense for your tank/nem. One happy note is that your nem does look happier than my first two ever did--it definitely doesn't look like its on its way out to me. I would not try any more direct intervention, just maybe giving it a short break on the lights.
Its healthy now! Here's a picture, its chilling in the far corner, I also have built in intensity adjustments incase my lighting is to high for it
20210616_095803.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its healthy now! Here's a picture, its chilling in the far corner, I also have built in intensity adjustments incase my lighting is to high for it
20210616_095803.jpg
At 18 total watts available, what actual par are you getting at the sand bed? There should be plenty of reports online.

I don't think any nem will really thrive under that low of light output. Mine are as high as they can get, under red sea 90w @ 80% and still reaching for more light.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 18 total watts available, what actual par are you getting at the sand bed? There should be plenty of reports online.

I don't think any nem will really thrive under that low of light output. Mine are as high as they can get, under red sea 90w @ 80% and still reaching for more light.
Its not only 18watts, its 18watts of pure attinic with the stock light on top of that, I have 155 in far corner of sandbed

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in tank 2 days seemed healthy gave it half of one krill, now its shrinking and has moved abit, I don't know why help me water parameters are fine 0 nitrite 15ppm nitrate calc 380ppm alk 10° dkh 0 ammonia

I've got 2 rbta that I've had for 2 years now.

It's fine. It might be flowing in the current or crawling around next. Feeding very much will make the split. After eating the mouth will often open. That's how it . Lol

Back