Anenomes(?) ID - All over new live rock

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a piece of live rock recently to throw in my refugium - slowly more and more anenome-like creatures have appeared. Some of them have feathery xenia-like tentacles, others have smooth brown-ish tentacles. The rock is from Indonesia if it helps with identification.

Obviously my immediate thought was Aiptasia or Majano - and there definitely is Aiptasia on this rock (you can see one in the picture below) - but to me they look substantially different and I haven't been able to get an ID from googling their description. They could also be some kind of worm but they seem to come out when the light is on so I assume they're photosynthetic?

There's LOADS of them appearing so I'd really like to ID them before they become a problem!

370262299_267201626174013_3606905659391363161_n.jpg 370217058_315984140820540_505683408474613818_n.jpg

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses - are either of these likely to make it into my DT? I don't mind having plague corals in my refugium - in fact I was considering adding Xenia intentionally as another nutrient export - but I don't want them to make it into my DT. The refugium outflow goes through a filter sponge on the overflow and then through my filter socks and I have a UV on my return so I imagine it's very unlikely they'd spread through all that.

Does anyone have any idea what the smooth tentacled ones higher up on the rock are?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at how they are joined... mat (green star polyps) or vine-like (brown star polyps)... the vine-like will spawn off and float around and reattach... not good to have.

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything joining them so definitely not a mat, there must be some connective tissue I can't see.

They seem to brush off the rock fairly easily so I could pull out the whole rock and scrub it in a bucket of tank water - contemplating just bleaching it though,. I thought it might be nice to introduce some new critters to the refugium but it's not worth introducing a plague - and presumably I've already benefited from any bacterial diversity that came on the rock anyway.

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted vermetid snails on there as well! Looks like this rock was a terrible idea, I'll bleach it then throw it in the sump.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything joining them so definitely not a mat, there must be some connective tissue I can't see.

They seem to brush off the rock fairly easily so I could pull out the whole rock and scrub it in a bucket of tank water - contemplating just bleaching it though,. I thought it might be nice to introduce some new critters to the refugium but it's not worth introducing a plague - and presumably I've already benefited from any bacterial diversity that came on the rock anyway.
though the green (GSP) look similar to the brown i have... the GSP has a purplish mat and typically grows by adding to its mat.. the brown vines and will shoot off little helicopter heads, land and start again (like a weed seed).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back