Angel swimming strange circular pattern also shy.

Reefer Reborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what’s going on. I just noticed my Pigmy Angel swimming in circles at and angle.
Has a small strand of poop coming out too. Also very shy not coming out or staying in the open. Not sure if the poop is related to anything. All my fish have been friends for the last 6 months. This angel is very fast, tough and has the tightest hiding spots. The other fish are looking at it now that it’s in distress. Anyone know what this could be? I have had fish for 40 years never saw this. I just turn the lights off for now. Below is a video of it and also a clip of her normal life

Attachments

• IMG_5699.mov
    100.3 MB
  • IMG_5671.mov
    76.5 MB
OP
OP
Reefer Reborn

Reefer Reborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what’s going on. I just noticed my Pigmy Angel swimming in circles at and angle.
Has a small strand of poop coming out too. Also very shy not coming out or staying in the open. Not sure if the poop is related to anything. All my fish have been friends for the last 6 months. This angel is very fast, tough and has the tightest hiding spots. The other fish are looking at it now that it’s in distress. Anyone know what this could be? I have had fish for 40 years never saw this. I just turn the lights off for now. Below is a video of it and also a clip of her normal life
This system is over 5 years old and I test water regularly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In both videos, the angel is hidden in cave or swooping right in front. There appears to be turbulence within the tank which may be too strong for this fish. I do not see of what i could see any abnormalities , but noticed what may be head shaking which be associated with flukes but cant confirm due to amount of time fish was hidden

OP
OP
Reefer Reborn

Reefer Reborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In both videos, the angel is hidden in cave or swooping right in front. There appears to be turbulence within the tank which may be too strong for this fish. I do not see of what i could see any abnormalities , but noticed what may be head shaking which be associated with flukes but cant confirm due to amount of time fish was hidden
Thanks I will try to get another shot tomorrow. I turns the lights off.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will try to get another shot tomorrow. I turns the lights off.
Tough to see clearly, but the angel seems to be struggling to stay down, giving it that bobbing behavior. Sometimes this is due to a swim bladder problem, but in this case, I wonder if it is gas in the gut from bacterial action on an impaction? No treatment short of surgery if that’s it though.

OP
OP
Reefer Reborn

Reefer Reborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly, but the angel seems to be struggling to stay down, giving it that bobbing behavior. Sometimes this is due to a swim bladder problem, but in this case, I wonder if it is gas in the gut from bacterial action on an impaction? No treatment short of surgery if that’s it though.
That is how I would describe it "trying to stay down" I have pierced the swim bladder to release a large fish such as a grouper or when a fish has its bladder come out through its mouth. Im not sure I would attempt this on a 1.5" angel though. I am hoping for the best and if is alive in the morning I will try to get another better video.

OP
OP
Reefer Reborn

Reefer Reborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today she seems better. Almost back to normal. Perhaps it was trapped waste or constipation. I will keep monitoring the situation

OP
OP
Reefer Reborn

Reefer Reborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is normal now. I guess it was hard to pass the poop and maybe she was trying to shake it out.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back