Pest ID

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this crawling around in my sea urchin. It was flat and looked like a big flatworm.

Dropped a bunch of eggs when I dipped the urchin in fresh water to knock it off.

Sorry no better pictures.

IMG_8374.jpeg IMG_8362.jpeg IMG_8361.jpeg

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the worm was flat in the tank. it shriveled up quickly when introduced to freshwater. was then able to knock it off my urchin

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of urchin do you have? It may be a commensal species of polychaete.
It was on a tuxedo urchin. I had 2 large "halloween/decorated" pincushion urchins. Both of those urchins died recently. I didn't think to check them for worms. I thought they passed due to their size and not enough food available. They were softball size urchins.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on a tuxedo urchin. I had 2 large "halloween/decorated" pincushion urchins. Both of those urchins died recently. I didn't think to check them for worms. I thought they passed due to their size and not enough food available. They were softball size urchins.
Hmm. Interesting, as I'm not aware of polychaetes that interact meaningfully with Tuxedo Urchins.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to move the urchin with the worm into a small, temporary holding tank - making sure to feed the urchin properly in the tank - and observe (if possible) both what the worm eats and how they interact, as a number of urchins have commensal polychaetes that live in/on them without being a problem, and I'm not aware of any polychaetes that prey on or parasitize urchins at the moment that I recall.

If the interaction seems to be innocent (i.e. if there doesn't seem to do any damage to the urchin after a few days), then I'd call it good and add them both back to the DT.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm. Interesting, as I'm not aware of polychaetes that interact meaningfully with Tuxedo Urchins.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to move the urchin with the worm into a small, temporary holding tank - making sure to feed the urchin properly in the tank - and observe (if possible) both what the worm eats and how they interact, as a number of urchins have commensal polychaetes that live in/on them without being a problem, and I'm not aware of any polychaetes that prey on or parasitize urchins at the moment that I recall.

If the interaction seems to be innocent (i.e. if there doesn't seem to do any damage to the urchin after a few days), then I'd call it good and add them both back to the DT.
i already threw it away lol but it did release some eggs while i grabbed the urchin so probably will have some growing in the tank eventually. Also im not sure if it was harming my urchins. I did have 2 die that were super healthy before hand. but i do realize my tank was getting pretty clean.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
all those little dots are eggs that came off the worm. I figured it was some type of flatworm due to the eggs looking similiar to flatworm eggs i have seen before.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all those little dots are eggs that came off the worm. I figured it was some type of flatworm due to the eggs looking similiar to flatworm eggs i have seen before.
That's interesting - brooding polychaetes are not common in our aquaria that I've seen.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back