Angelfish Aggression

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a 3XL 900 Red Sea which has been fallow over 14 weeks. Ready to start stocking, and going to have angelfish so would like to add at the same time for territorial reasons, but do not want to add too many too fast.

We have a Queen, and French that have been in observational QT for 60+ days with no signs of any disease or parasites, have a blue face that has been in observation for over 30 days now, and an Annularis which has been in observation for just about 2 weeks (so not ready to move it really).

So want opinions on adding the Queen and French now and in another two to three weeks adding the other two. This would allow the tank to stabilize any boost in ammonia before adding the other two.

By adding in pairs I hope to avoid aggression. Will the Queen and French square off, or with the really different appearance would they leave each other alone? This way I can add the blue face and Annularis later so there are two new targets over one to spread any issues.

Thanks for any input.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about large Angels. but Drawf Angels & Tangs know me well. They tell me three is better: I don’t know if they meant sex or what.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to look this up
Specifications

• Display Tank Dimensions - 79"L x 25.6"H x 25.6"W
  • Display Tank Volume - 192 Gallons
  • Total System Height - 60"
  • Total System Volume - 240 Gallons
I think the tank is going to be crowded with those angels.

I love them all so I would have a hard time not putting them all together and seeing what happens. Keep them well fed and have plenty of hiding spots.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I know nothing about large Angels. but Drawf Angels & Tangs know me well. They tell me three is better: I don’t know if they meant sex or what.
Yeah, I know groups of three better than pairs. I’m thinking the queen and French shouldn’t be too much trouble as the French is still black and yellow striped not changed yet.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Had to look this up
Specifications

• Display Tank Dimensions - 79"L x 25.6"H x 25.6"W
  • Display Tank Volume - 192 Gallons
  • Total System Height - 60"
  • Total System Volume - 240 Gallons
I think the tank is going to be crowded with those angels.
Might long term, but they are all pretty small at the moment, and we are in the prep planning stages of a 400+. Just haven’t decided on the exact footprint we want.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might long term, but they are all pretty small at the moment, and we are in the prep planning stages of a 400+. Just haven’t decided on the exact footprint we want.
Get a 1000 g and get rid of the couch and other useless furniture. I always recommend this to people who have the reef tank bug. Wives usually veto the idea?
:cool:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 large angels that get along fine but in your case, just to be safe, I would wait and add them all at once. And yes, eventually you will want a bigger tank.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Get a 1000 g and get rid of the couch and other useless furniture. I always recommend this to people who have the reef tank bug. Wives usually veto the idea?
:cool:
Yeah, we already have 2 210’s 1 160, 1 110, 1 75 and 200 gallon Frag styatem and 200+ QT and hospital.

Thought about just sealing the walls of the basement and make it a swim in reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back