Angelfish swimming nose down not eating

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He's been swimming like this since I got him. He's been in quarantine one week. He's been treated for flukes and has recovered. He won't eat and I think he has a swim bladder issue because of the way he's swimming. He had white poop once. He's been treated with general cure with two doses 5 days apart. 50% water change 24 hours after dose 1. Now in copper at therapeutic levels.

20230105_153925.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He's been swimming like this since I got him. He's been in quarantine one week. He's been treated for flukes and has recovered. He won't eat and I think he has a swim bladder issue because of the way he's swimming. He had white poop once. He's been treated with general cure with two doses 5 days apart. 50% water change 24 hours after dose 1. Now in copper at therapeutic levels.

20230105_153925.jpg
Bladder is a high probability as would be internal parasite. Not eating is not a good sign but Ive seen this and recovery. You can dose Metroplex which is absorbed

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 on seeing a video.

These big flagfins can be an issue, they often have internal infections. I suspect, but cannot prove, that a lot of the issue stems from "needling" them to decompress them quickly after capture. They are commonly co0llected at >50', so decompression is a problem. I can see a spot on its flank right about where it could have been needled. There is also another possible spot behind its crown.

Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you provide a video? Did you acquire the fish at a local fish store or mail order?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 on seeing a video.

These big flagfins can be an issue, they often have internal infections. I suspect, but cannot prove, that a lot of the issue stems from "needling" them to decompress them quickly after capture. They are commonly co0llected at >50', so decompression is a problem. I can see a spot on its flank right about where it could have been needled. There is also another possible spot behind its crown.

Jay
Thank you guys. Here's a video Flagfin angel

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you guys. Here's a video Flagfin angel
I see bruising on lower anal fin and also slight redness by the tail suggesting bacterial issue. I see what looks like fish in QT tank and would suggest adding seachem Kanaplex for 5 days but first- are you currently medicating the tank ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that the video shows some bacterial infection on the pectoral fins.
I think this fish has a number of issues, it is going to be tough to save.
Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see bruising on lower anal fin and also slight redness by the tail suggesting bacterial issue. I see what looks like fish in QT tank and would suggest adding seachem Kanaplex for 5 days but first- are you currently medicating the tank ?
There is probably some left over residue from API general cure which has prazi and metro I believe (I did do a 50% water change). The tank is at therapeutic levels of copper safe.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There is probably some left over residue from API general cure which has prazi and metro I believe (I did do a 50% water change). The tank is at therapeutic levels of copper safe.
What coppersafe level are you using, how are you testing and how long have you been treating?

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update he didn't make it. Im very sad.. Euthanized him and dissected. The fish was bloated with fluid in his stomach. There was a long white string that was moving inside. Pictures attached

Attachments

• 20230106_224119.jpg
    20230106_224119.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230106_224319.jpg
    20230106_224319.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230106_224421.jpg
    20230106_224421.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 30

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the white string was actively moving on its own, and not just moving in the fluid? Nematode worms can be seen in dead fish and they move around very strongly when dissected out. I can't get a clear look at this, but it looks more like intestinal mucus, and that sort of just moves gently in water currents.

In any event, the fluid in the gut is called "ascites" and is a symptom of liver or kidney failure. The nematodes can cause that through direct damage of the liver. This can also be caused by bacterial infection or cyanide poisoning. Sorry, there is no treatment for that.

Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sure the white string was actively moving on its own, and not just moving in the fluid? Nematode worms can be seen in dead fish and they move around very strongly when dissected out. I can't get a clear look at this, but it looks more like intestinal mucus, and that sort of just moves gently in water currents.

In any event, the fluid in the gut is called "ascites" and is a symptom of liver or kidney failure. The nematodes can cause that through direct damage of the liver. This can also be caused by bacterial infection or cyanide poisoning. Sorry, there is no treatment for that.

Jay
Likely was the mucus. Wife says she saw it moving for a short while.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back