Angels in reef tanks?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful fish. I have 2 in my 240 and I can’t catch them to save my life! I’m getting ready to move and when I do I will probably go to a 100 gallon stock tank as my sump. Then when I drain my main tank I will catch them and relocate both of them to the sump.

corey
Which two angels? If I ever get a tank that big, Id be wanting a goldflake or goldflake x flagfin!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel that was fine with corals and clams for four years, died one day no warning.

I have a gold flake that is a clam nipper. I ultimately had to give up clams, but, the gold flake is fine for SPS and LPS (so far for about three years).

The tank gets fed by auto-feeders all day long... followed by frozen food three times at night.

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have experience in keeping dwarf angels in reef tanks? Are there certain corals to avoid? I’m talking like flame angels, coral beauty, etc.
They are reef safe. Ive kept multiple coral beautys and bi colored in my tanks. Big angels can be risky though

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are reef safe. Ive kept multiple coral beautys and bi colored in my tanks. Big angels can be risky though
No, they aren't completely reef-safe. Your experience is not universal. There's a reason that Centropyge angels are listed as "Reef-safe with caution," by most guidelines. And that is, all of them have the potential to turn into corallivores. They're adapted to eating them, and some of them appear to really enjoy the taste of corals. They don't always do so, which is why you can sometimes get away with it. But adding a Centropyge to a reef will always be a risk. It doesn't mean that you're irresponsible or stupid if you choose to take that risk - but you need to have a strategy to prevent coral predation, or have a plan in place to remove the fish if it doesn't work out.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... if you have a tank that is stuffed with mature fast growing acropora - you are probably not going to notice a few nips. But... if you are trying to get going with a few frags - a dicey fish choice is more likely ruin your reefing plans.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dwarfs angels are YMMV on each individual. I've been lucky so far and have 3 (Coral Beauty, Flame, Potters) in my 80 gallon, each is a model citizen. I've had the CB and Flame for 2+ years and the Potters for 2 months. I previously had a multicolor angel which passed away mysteriously, but he was also safe with SPS for nearly 3 years.

I think I've been successful as I don't keep any corals (fleshy LPS) or clams in the DT that they are more inclined to go after, also believe that these may serve as a doorway to eating other types of corals like SPS. I also keep them well fed, and the tank stocked with plenty of micro fauna so they're constantly grazing the rock surfaces.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed mine 5 times a day with an auto feeder....but I’m also not saying I had no PE because the angels nipped the sps. I dont know for sure why I had no PE.

corey

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried it a few times with different angels (seems like I never learn my lesson). I tried a flameback, a flame and a coral beauty but they all eventually nipped at corals in the tank. While my SPS would generally be able to take it, I also had LPS in my mixed reef that they just loved. I'm not saying that they damaged the LPS ( open brains, Lobo and Frogspawn), but the nipping irritated them so they would basically stay closed up, or deflated. I love those Angels but it just wasn't to be in this tank with coral.

Just my experience.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a African flame back. Doesn't nip a thing, that I have seen. Of course it's an angel and they peck here and there all day long, so I'm sure my SPS get a "swim by" nipping from time to time.

It's also what I attribute no PE on my SPS too as @biecacka mentioned. My SPS grow and color up just fine, I have very nice PE at night, and if I give frags away they have nice PE out of my tank. I just have 0 PE during the day when the angel is up. It's almost like my corals know. lol

Jminasalli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a African flame back. Doesn't nip a thing, that I have seen. Of course it's an angel and they peck here and there all day long, so I'm sure my SPS get a "swim by" nipping from time to time.

It's also what I attribute no PE on my SPS too as @biecacka mentioned. My SPS grow and color up just fine, I have very nice PE at night, and if I give frags away they have nice PE out of my tank. I just have 0 PE during the day when the angel is up. It's almost like my corals know. lol
I lost my pe when I added my flame angel also. In the process of an upgrade and I don’t think he will be making the move with my sps.

Back