Angels in reef tanks

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which large angels have you had success with in reef tanks? I know most people assume you can’t keep them in reefs but in SPS only tanks I’ve previously had a regal, emperor, majestic and Chinese blue line with no issues.
My stocking plans for new system will definitely include some angels..
I’m hoping someone has had success with a grey puma and a queen, would love a bandit but last one I saw in UK £4000 so a bit out my price range.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which large angels have you had success with in reef tanks? I know most people assume you can’t keep them in reefs but in SPS only tanks I’ve previously had a regal, emperor, majestic and Chinese blue line with no issues.
I’m hoping someone has had success with a grey puma and a queen, would love a bandit but last one I saw in UK £4000 so a bit out my price range.

I think its always a risk but some work out. I had a Valentini Puffer that did great in a community reef tank. He was best friends with the cleaner shrimp, and left everyone alone but the snails. I personally always stayed away from Angels but am curious as to what others have to say.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently keep a regal and a majestic in my tank without any real problems. Most large angels should be fine in a large sps tank with lots of established colonies.
There will be some picking here and there but provided that you have a good volume of corals it shouldn’t be an issue.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@fabutahoun is someone I'd invite to weigh in on this. He's got lots of experience keeping angels in a reef.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor, scribbled, regal , bandit, blueface, majestic. are all good candidates for reef tanks. They are coral safe with sps and most lps . However softies have a higher risk.

The best way is to get these large angels as small juvenile and raise them. I noticed that juvenile grown into adults are gentler on corals.

genicanthus angels are an excellent option they are 100% reef safe.

I would stay away from Queen and other holacanthus angels as they tend to be more destructive.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an Annularis in a softie tank. No problems!

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor, scribbled, regal , bandit, blueface, majestic. are all good candidates for reef tanks. They are coral safe with sps and most lps . However softies have a higher risk.

The best way is to get these large angels as small juvenile and raise them. I noticed that juvenile grown into adults are gentler on corals.

genicanthus angels are an excellent option they are 100% reef safe.

I would stay away from Queen and other holacanthus angels as they tend to be more destructive.
Thoughts about the angels you listed with tridacna clams like squamosas?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a flame angel but just to scared if it’s bad I can’t get I out!

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame Angel in my tank with corals, but both are young, tank and fish. No trouble with the Angel.
Ok thanks! Please let me know if you have troubles as I would really like one

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a lot of cherubs and they never bothered corals. Rare that I had a dwarf that nipped.

Had more issues with domino and those nasty 3 line damsels nipping coral than dwarf angels.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, the Genicanthus species are your safest bet. I feel these angels are vastly under rated too. I have a female Japanese swallowtail. She is gorgeous and my favorite fish.
I feel if Genicanthus wasn’t a type of Angel they would get recognition. I think they are overshadowed by some of the stunning Pomacanthus species.
My swallowtail is a model citizen. She has never nipped at anything in my mixed reef. She does welcome new comers with some tail waving and occasionally puts the other fish in her place, but for the most part is peaceful. She was/is the queen on the tank but my newest addition as of last week is a 2” purple tang who is literally going around trying to show dominance over every fish even though he’s by far the smallest. I feel I’m going to have an adult with anger issues

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your experiences keeping the Swallowtail as it’s a genus I am very keen on getting. Are they hardy? Do they get diseases easily? Any trouble getting them to feed?

I would love to buy 2 females and I hope 1 can change to a male.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your experiences keeping the Swallowtail as it’s a genus I am very keen on getting. Are they hardy? Do they get diseases easily? Any trouble getting them to feed?

I would love to buy 2 females and I hope 1 can change to a male.
I have found mine to be darn near bullet proof. I’m not advocating anyone follow my procedures, but I have never quarantined anything. This month is the one year anniversary for my tank and I’ve got a total of 12 fish. I lost one that came in with a bacterial infection but other than that everything has been fine. I understand the risks of not quarantining and I am willing to take that and I’m glad I did because I think it makes for hardier fish in the long run.
I got my Swallowtail in May of last year. She came in with a decent weight to her but not fat. She ate LRS right away. IME any fish that can get in LRS will fatten up in no time. She didn’t know what to do with Nori until I got a Foxface and she saw what he did. She’s probably about 4.5” now and it developing some really nice tail streamers. Also, the swallow tail is one of the few fish that look better under blue LED’s. She’s literally my favorite fish and my only regret is not getting 2 like your idea with the hope that one will turn to male. Research that a bit if that’s the path you decide because I think the magic number is 3. But don’t quote me on that.
I got her from NYAquatic and I’ve had really good luck with fish from Michael there. He does treat his fish before they arrive so maybe that’s why I’ve had luck with skipping the quarantine. My final fish order was last week with the purple tang and a convict tang. The convict arrived in bad shape because on of the heat packs didn’t activate and he perished within a few hours. Michael replaced it and although I had to pay shipping again he sent me a new one. Convicts are notorious hard to get to eat. After a day my replacement was eating LRS and lettuce.
Bottom line is that I highly recommend the swallowtail.
She’s my favorite fish. She has a lot of personality and she get along with most everyone.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m so happy it’s doing well for you! And good luck with your tank! I’ve considered the Convict before but heard it’s hard to get eating (same reason why I skipped Bristletooths). The Purple will absolutely be a centerpiece if I get one. It’s my first choice for a Zebrasoma, with the Scopas being the second (Yellows aren’t available easily since the ban). What’s your full list of fish and what are your 120’s dimensions?

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m so happy it’s doing well for you! And good luck with your tank! I’ve considered the Convict before but heard it’s hard to get eating (same reason why I skipped Bristletooths). The Purple will absolutely be a centerpiece if I get one. It’s my first choice for a Zebrasoma, with the Scopas being the second (Yellows aren’t available easily since the ban). What’s your full list of fish and what are your 120’s dimensions?
Tank is 4x2x2
Purple tang
Convict tang
Swallowtail Angel
Foxface
Midas blenny
Longnose Hawkfish
Orchid dottyback
Six line wrasse
Single chromis
Black occ Clows
Orange occ Clown
Orange tail damsel

As these fish grow, especially the big ones, I will get rid of a few due to bioload. I’ll get rid of the 6 line, orange tail, chromis and Midas Blenny and replace with a Starki damsel and mandarin. Depending on how big my Foxface gets I may regime him as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back