The not so spectacular 120 build

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby 13 years ago with a 55 gallon tank. I had it for about a year and just as it started to mature I moved and took it down. I loved the hobby while I was in it and always wanted to return. Well I’m back with a 120. For all intents and purposes, I’m very much a newbie.
First off I just want to thank all of you here for the amazing support answering a lot of my newbie questions. If not for you guys this hobby would be impossible. Secondly this build is a budget build. There are so many amazing tanks on here that the attention to detail is truly beyond a professional product. The equipment put into them is state of the art and top of the line. It’s a true masterpiece. This is not going to be one of those builds. I want to do things right and buy good equipment the first time, but my budget isn’t going to allow bells and whistles like an Apex. I saved some equipment from my 55 from years ago and I am reusing as much of it as I can. For example a Current Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb T5 fixture.
It’s been a bit of a ride over the past year. In January of 2019 I started to gather equipment over the next 12 months. I started with a used 120 Aqueon Mega Flow I found on Craigslist which was my first newbie mistake. I did not inspect the tank very well at all, bought it for $250 and brought it home. It sat in my basement until December at which point I had gathered enough equipment to start building my stand.
I have 3 kids ages 1, 5 and 8. Finding time to do anything is difficult. I had 2 vacation days to use before the end of the year or otherwise I would lose them. I decided to take off the Thursday and Friday off before Christmas to build my stand. I was super excited that this was the commencement of my build. I go to bed that Wednesday with plans running through my head and putting together a material list and then boom, baby is sick and guess who’s already staying home from work? Plans cancelled. At any rate, it took a two full months to complete my stand and canopy build, and put everything together.
After I had my stand done next step was to get the tank cleaned up. As I was working on this I really got a good look at it for the first time. I realized the top brace was cracked in two places and epoxied back together. Red flag #1. The. I had a few deep fingernail catching scratches in the front panel. Red flag #2. And finally I saw the sides had been resealed albeit with a shoddy caulk job. The base looked to be original silicon. Red flag #3. Knowing that silicone can’t bond to silicone, I questioned the seal job, especially long term. I wasn’t even going to waste my time leak testing this hunk of junk. It was time to look for a new tank. I got a quote for a new Aqueon at nearly $1000. I hadn’t budgeted for this expense. After looking around a bit I found a Marineland 120 cornerflow tank, on sale out the door with an additional coupon for $425. Done deal.

Here’s a few pics of what I’ve got going on now.

F71951A3-CC05-4698-B265-46F10BEBB1FF.jpeg D957BF94-C647-4B31-89EE-A760F895FF46.jpeg 73FA97C2-8A85-4DD5-B731-D26493A5E3D2.jpeg FF807063-F36A-4B7D-BE15-DD470082F44E.jpeg 7BD1B54E-F1B1-4724-85E9-2DD05C9969D6.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby 13 years ago with a 55 gallon tank. I had it for about a year and just as it started to mature I moved and took it down. I loved the hobby while I was in it and always wanted to return. Well I’m back with a 120. For all intents and purposes, I’m very much a newbie.
First off I just want to thank all of you here for the amazing support answering a lot of my newbie questions. If not for you guys this hobby would be impossible. Secondly this build is a budget build. There are so many amazing tanks on here that the attention to detail is truly beyond a professional product. The equipment put into them is state of the art and top of the line. It’s a true masterpiece. This is not going to be one of those builds. I want to do things right and buy good equipment the first time, but my budget isn’t going to allow bells and whistles like an Apex. I saved some equipment from my 55 from years ago and I am reusing as much of it as I can. For example a Current Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb T5 fixture.
It’s been a bit of a ride over the past year. In January of 2019 I started to gather equipment over the next 12 months. I started with a used 120 Aqueon Mega Flow I found on Craigslist which was my first newbie mistake. I did not inspect the tank very well at all, bought it for $250 and brought it home. It sat in my basement until December at which point I had gathered enough equipment to start building my stand.
I have 3 kids ages 1, 5 and 8. Finding time to do anything is difficult. I had 2 vacation days to use before the end of the year or otherwise I would lose them. I decided to take off the Thursday and Friday off before Christmas to build my stand. I was super excited that this was the commencement of my build. I go to bed that Wednesday with plans running through my head and putting together a material list and then boom, baby is sick and guess who’s already staying home from work? Plans cancelled. At any rate, it took a two full months to complete my stand and canopy build, and put everything together.
After I had my stand done next step was to get the tank cleaned up. As I was working on this I really got a good look at it for the first time. I realized the top brace was cracked in two places and epoxied back together. Red flag #1. The. I had a few deep fingernail catching scratches in the front panel. Red flag #2. And finally I saw the sides had been resealed albeit with a shoddy caulk job. The base looked to be original silicon. Red flag #3. Knowing that silicone can’t bond to silicone, I questioned the seal job, especially long term. I wasn’t even going to waste my time leak testing this hunk of junk. It was time to look for a new tank. I got a quote for a new Aqueon at nearly $1000. I hadn’t budgeted for this expense. After looking around a bit I found a Marineland 120 cornerflow tank, on sale out the door with an additional coupon for $425. Done deal.

Here’s a few pics of what I’ve got going on now.

F71951A3-CC05-4698-B265-46F10BEBB1FF.jpeg D957BF94-C647-4B31-89EE-A760F895FF46.jpeg 73FA97C2-8A85-4DD5-B731-D26493A5E3D2.jpeg FF807063-F36A-4B7D-BE15-DD470082F44E.jpeg 7BD1B54E-F1B1-4724-85E9-2DD05C9969D6.jpeg

With three young kids, I am super impressed you are able to get anything accomplished outside of work and an occasional trip to the toilet!

Nice job on the stand! Everything looks good!

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 40b for my sump and am running a cryptic fuge. Once the system matured I will seed my fuge with some sponges for filtration. My space is limited and I’m going to be running carbon and GFO through 2 reactors. I needed a place to put these reactors so I built a stand out of pvc pipe and zip tied egg crate to the top of it. Pardon the rock on there, it doesn’t fit and will be removed.
The tank is bare bottom and I’m running 2 Jebao wave makers for flow. I also resurrected 2 Koralia power heads that I have pointed at the bottom to keep everything in suspension.
I’m using a Skimz SL 203 DC skimmer rated for up to 500 gallons. This has yet to be turned on. I’m also using a Skimz Leopard L60 return pump rated at 1700 gph at zero head. I have roughly a 4’ height with 3 elbows and a tee feeding flow to my fuge.
I supplemented my T5 fixture with a Reef Brite Actinic Lumi Lite. I would like to add a second one of these in the future.
I’m running (2) 500 watt heaters. I have an ink bird controller, but I need o investigate this some because the heaters do not turn on when plugged into it. So right now it’s not in commission other than giving my a temp reading of the tank.
Yesterday I seeded my tank with Dr Tim’s One and Only. I also added Dr Tim’s ammonia. I am dealing with a lot of cloudiness that I’m hoping clears up soon.
I’m so green in this hobby and you all are so knowledgeable. If you see something please say something

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake on my plumbing initially. I ran a horizontal run over to my fuge to supply slow however I was not getting any flow. I’m running a herbie overflow. I capped off that tee and replumbed my return to get adequate flow through my fuge. Problem number one solved.
I also made another mistake that I Hope is not critical. I gathered dry rock over the past year. I did not cure this and I wish I did. I’m guessing this added to the cloudiness of my water a great deal. I’m hoping this does not affect me long term.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days into my cycle and ammonia went from 2 to 1 but Nitrites only at .25 and Nitrate at 5? I’m going to give it another day to see if these numbers change before adding more ammonia

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone reading this if they could give me some suggestions I would appreciate it. I’m currently 12 days into my cycle. Day one I added Dr Tims and 2 ppm ammonia. A couple of days in my level dropped to 1 ppm ammonia and stayed there for the next 4-5 days. 4 days ago tested at 1 ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 50+ Nitrate. I then added Microbacter Start XLM and redosed ammonia to bring the level up to 2 ppm. Today my ammonia is down to .8, Nitrites still at 0 and Nitrates at 50+. My skimmer has been off and lights off. I’m thinking of doing a water change this weekend, turning the skimmer on and redosing ammonia. Is this a viable plan?
I plan on leaving it unlit and fallow for a duration of at least 3 months. As my ammonia comes down I need to continue to keep dosing it until I add fish, correct?

Last edited:

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would turn on skimmer, check salinity is 1.026 with a refractometer, check water temp is appropriate with minimum swing 74-76 or 77-79 for example, add some bacteria Dr Tim’s or BiroSpira and add a couple fish. I used BiroSpira and added 2 clowns which settled in nicely.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT DO TOU MEAN “NOT SO SPECTACULAR”!!!!

This is a beautiful tank, you should be proud of it! I bets it’s next to I possiable to find time with three “gods gifts” keeping you busy, full time job, and other obligations. I’m impressed.

as far as your cycling goes: I don’t think I’m qualified enough to give you an answer, but we have a lot of knowledgeable people here so I hope you get the questions answered.

but I did want to compliment you on your beautiful tank, and I can only imagine how much more beautiful it will be once it’s fully up and running. But to me, so far it’s looking great!
Welcome back to the hobby!
Take care friend and happy reefing!

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words. I’m excited to be back. I want to get this thing right and get off to a good start.
I’m leaving it fallow and lights off for three months because I read somewhere along the way that by doing so it helps avoid a lot of the uglies with a new tank.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever set up 2 reef tanks. Both I added fish during the cycle and Dealt with the uglies. To me I have always felt the “uglies” are part of the cycle and Is inevitable, BUT I have never done fish-less cycle.
Either way, it appears your approach of full of research and good intentions- so I say continue on and see how it goes. Anything right will just be right and anything you do wrong will be a learning experience.

my only advise: don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Of course you never want to make catastrophe mistakes, but don’t get to hung up on being perfect. I did that and the mistakes happened anyway. And honestly in hind sight I’m glad they did because I learned a lot of things. And I’m sure I still am and will continue to make mistakes. But I think at this stage I have found that the mistakes or hurtles is what makes me a better reefer. And I enjoy trying to solve problems now As well as learning more about the hobby. I would Consider myself a novice, with A LOT still to learn, but that’s what makes this hobby so interesting and rewarding.

I’m excited for you on your reefing journey. The “journey” is what’s most important - not the destination. (With reefing and in life)
I hope your family will enjoy it with you and I wish you luck my friend. your off to a great start.

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! In the future I plan on doing something similar to what you have there when I get to my forever home (Currently renting apartment). As for your cycle, I would say just continue testing. IMO, it seems like your cycle is just about down. Your ammonia should go down and nitrates should go up just like they did. I did the same exact method, except I used live sand. Even added my dry rock without curing. My tank is now 2 months running and I have about 12 coral and 6 fish and my cleanup crew. My cycle was only 7 days long due to doctor tims for my 40 gallon. At 12 days for 120 gallons, that sounds about right. I’m no expert and new to the hobby myself, but from everything I have watched and read, you’re on the right track! I honestly don’t think it is needed to wait 3 months. The whole point of doctor Tim’s is to cycle fast. I think you will be ready any day now, if you aren’t already there!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this from your other post about mentoring. Looks great for the tank and sump. How is it going? Through the cycle? I get three young kids. Did that myself. They love to help. "Play in the water"

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DeniseAndy, thanks for checking in. It’s been going very well, almost too well that it makes me nervous. From my previous experience years ago with a new tank and dealing with issues from the beginning, I had convinced myself to go slow this time around. For the first two months of the tank I had battles high nitrates. My test kit goes up to 50 but I would guess at their worst they were at 200. Vinegar dosing has gotten them down to 2ppm which is where I’m going to try to keep them. Well above 0 and <10 anyways. Phosphate was around .3 the first time I tested. I started running GFO (and carbon) and the numbers got down to .025-.075. I have a Nyos phosphate test kit and can’t really tell the difference in these readings. I am starting to get very nervous as we had an early June vacation planned that I thought was going to be cancelled. Well they are reopening and our vacation is on. Not sure what I’m going to do here being away for 7 days. My tank can’t sustain itself without some maintenance. I still have time to come up with a plan for that.
Anyways, here’s some pictures. My clam is floating right now so I’ll get some pics when she’s settled in.

Edit: I meant to say that I convinced myself to go slow, but once I got my nitrates down the tank has had stable parameters for 6 weeks and I just couldn’t help myself to start adding coral. Started with a shroom which did great. A week later was a hammer and candy cane. Those did great, a week later was two ricordia and a nem. This week was a clam. I’m going to sit tight with this for awhile these other than fish possibly. Fish have actually been tough to find. My LFS told me that all he can get right now is captive bred.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my inverts. I do have a coral banded shrimp but he’s kinda boring and hides in his cave most of the day

B8DAB257-EB3E-4AA1-8000-BBDA21782878.jpeg 1E03F322-332C-4CD5-AA87-627C4CC46BF9.jpeg DA59C787-DBB0-47F3-8BC2-C6C980A8AA47.jpeg 07EA4676-4743-4E8E-9DA5-6E82EE28962F.jpeg 978144CF-BBCC-4945-9410-45EB91C86430.jpeg 992E0CC3-BE99-4B4F-8957-3A9A450CF970.jpeg CFA9D10A-D48A-4615-A25C-9C53BB095DA2.jpeg

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran lights out for the first two months. But even without lights, the kids still love it. My middle daughter Grace has taken to it the most. I’m not allowed to feed the tank without her there, or she gets upset.

B340495C-02B5-4F47-8EB0-3C909786FC4C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started a Nanno phytoplankton culture. This has been going since Saturday and I think it’s getting darker. Not entirely sure though. I am not heating it and my basement runs about 64 degrees right now so that could be an issue. I may try a heating pad under it. I have an iso bottle coming tomorrow that I plan on culturing too

AB573FE9-9B13-4F09-A3FD-E05D825C33EE.jpeg

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what is up with the algae on the rocks. When I turned my lights on I had stock bulbs from the fixture. The first coral I bought was a shroom and it loved those weak lights but when I bought the hammer and candy cane coral I replaced all 6 bulbs. The stock bulbs started growing a lime green algae on the rocks that couldn’t be scraped off and my CUC didn’t eat it either. When I replaced the bulbs the lime green went to a full brownish green. Hopefully just a case of the uglies on a new tank that started with dry rock

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That algae is normal actually. Part of the phases. Looking pretty good. Kids seem to enjoy it. Mine did a lot when younger. Now, it is old hat and they just come looking for me in the fish room if they cannot find me. My oldest is 17 now and I started reefs when he was 6 months old. :)
I really have to start my phyto back up. Just been so busy. Looks good!
About leaving, make sure you have a backup. Always have a back up. A reef keeper in the area that knows a bit about your system. I have two really. If you do not have anyone, get someone you trust to come in and look things over and feed, etc.
Just write up super easy to follow instructions. My house sitters have been fine with that and we leave for 2 wks + each time. My reef backups are only there in case of emergency.
It is stressful to leave though. Just try to enjoy vacation.

So fun to start up. My tank is currently really an almost start up as when I moved systems, I had decided to change my system inhabitants, then I lost all fish to a horrible decision on my part. Trusting others. So, starting over too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back