Angler fish got his food stolen

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha oh man! He was stalking him so well too lol.

Absolutely LOVE anglers! Glad to see one on here! A long time favorite of mine!

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have angler fish only tank. How long have you had him?
This one I have had for about a year. I had 2 prior over the last 5 years. The first died from over feeding (my fault, big learning mistake), the second from velvet.

I don't think they are any harder than an eel. I DO have to target feed him with a stick (he eats frozen), but I have to target feed my eel as well.

The hardest part is trying to keep the other fish away when feeding, but if he doesn't eat today, he can eat tomorrow. They can go weeks without eating and I try to feed 2 times a week.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome vid! I feel bad for the little guy. LOL

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, he had ample opportunity, lol

Have you tried some feeder fish, like guppies or goldfish. My angler would always lure my expensive saltwater fish to him with his bobber and swallow them. He ate a frigin grouper! Fish 2-3x's his size were hanging out of his mouth. I hate anglers because of that. They will eat everybody in the tank. It's like a giant mouth that just wants food, lol.

Fish will be tempted by his bobber more than shrimp. But a slow lionfish will become unexpectedly fast when there's live food around, especially fish he has to chase. Freshwater feeders can easily last 5-10 mins in saltwater and will be eaten before they die.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny ! He blew it for sure ! Frogfish are such a cool animal somewhere between a fish & amphibian .

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried some feeder fish, like guppies or goldfish. My angler would always lure my expensive saltwater fish to him with his bobber and swallow them. He ate a frigin grouper! Fish 2-3x's his size were hanging out of his mouth. I hate anglers because of that. They will eat everybody in the tank. It's like a giant mouth that just wants food, lol.

Fish will be tempted by his bobber more than shrimp. But a slow lionfish will become unexpectedly fast when there's live food around, especially fish he has to chase. Freshwater feeders can easily last 5-10 mins in saltwater and will be eaten before they die.
He is doing fine. I don't like feeding freshwater stuff to marine fish, especially when there are marine options. My feeder source has saltwater feeders.

He is by far the smallest guy in the tank. I don't worry about him eating the others. My bicolor angel took a good look at the lure one time, THAT made me nervous.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing fine. I don't like feeding freshwater stuff to marine fish, especially when there are marine options. My feeder source has saltwater feeders.

He is by far the smallest guy in the tank. I don't worry about him eating the others. My bicolor angel took a good look at the lure one time, THAT made me nervous.

Oh, I thought you said you were feeding him glass shrimp, which are both fresh and salt. That's why I suggested it.

I know it's probably better to feed marine to marine, but I always had this theory that feeding freshwater feeders wouldn't be as prone to carrying compatible parasites, or just anything that can be brought into the tank. Less room to transfer disease that could potentially thrive.

But yeah, that lure is one of natures little devils. It just plays right to a fish's natural instinct to investigate movement as a food source, then.... BAM! Suddenly the rock fish moves like lightning. I know you love your anglers though, lol. Have you tried breeding them before?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back