WARNING! live food

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must know the source of any live food you are feeding to your predators. If you know me, you know I am an advocate of live feeding to many predators. I have my 1st rule of no marine fish or inverts keep in systems with fish unless, you yourself have qt'd them without any chemicals other than general cure, praziquantel, or metronidazole. And I mean any, and what you call meds, are chemicals. I used to breed my own mollies and guppies, but for me it became unsustainable, and I had found sources that were clean and affordable. Then the pandemic, and my sources dried up; and when re-established, I learned the hard way, they were not clean. Today, it is best if not necessary, that you breed your own, or verify your source very well. I established a new source of mollies, then one day I walked into the store, and found them in a bag of methylene blue before they had a chance to transfer them into another bag. They knew I would not take the poisoned fish, and was pulling a switch aroo on me. I have found since then that many sources of mollies and guppies are poisoned with an array of chemicals, and must be avoided. Ghost shrimp on the other hand appears to safe, as inverts can not tolerate these poisons.

We have spoke many times, and if you are honest, you know there are some species, that will just not live long in captivity, if live food is not included in their diet. Some species like the rhino, ribbon eels, anglers, goblins, and other species of lions and scorps; will need the inclusion of live food. Some of these species just will not accept live food, and if they do, it is short livedm or they suffer from nutritional deficiencies that greatly shorten their lives, like within a year to a year and half. While you will find some dishonest people online, I have made many challenges over the years for people to document their success with dead only diets, still no evidence that I am wrong. Just talk to the lfs and other hobbyist in your area to find those keeping these species. I bet your lfs have many lions flowing through, but you are going to be hard pressed finding anyone keeping them as long as 2 years. Volitans are the outlier, ask about the other species we talk about in this forum.

I did lose my rhino recently, 5 years, which is extremely good, but I still have my suspicions, that she was poisoned. Rhinos do live between 10-15 years in the wild and usually do come in as a young adult, so you never know how old they are when they come in, so with all things considered, with such a difficult species, 5 years is pretty good, still sad. Because of the almost impossible task of finding scorps and other ambush predators from a clean source, and find clean food sources, it is becoming more discouraging. I suggest a good amount of research and preparation if you are considering keeping these species. I am not an "internet expert", I am confident of the information I share, but in the end, it is my opinion with the information I have.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must know the source of any live food you are feeding to your predators. If you know me, you know I am an advocate of live feeding to many predators. I have my 1st rule of no marine fish or inverts keep in systems with fish unless, you yourself have qt'd them without any chemicals other than general cure, praziquantel, or metronidazole. And I mean any, and what you call meds, are chemicals. I used to breed my own mollies and guppies, but for me it became unsustainable, and I had found sources that were clean and affordable. Then the pandemic, and my sources dried up; and when re-established, I learned the hard way, they were not clean. Today, it is best if not necessary, that you breed your own, or verify your source very well. I established a new source of mollies, then one day I walked into the store, and found them in a bag of methylene blue before they had a chance to transfer them into another bag. They knew I would not take the poisoned fish, and was pulling a switch aroo on me. I have found since then that many sources of mollies and guppies are poisoned with an array of chemicals, and must be avoided. Ghost shrimp on the other hand appears to safe, as inverts can not tolerate these poisons.

We have spoke many times, and if you are honest, you know there are some species, that will just not live long in captivity, if live food is not included in their diet. Some species like the rhino, ribbon eels, anglers, goblins, and other species of lions and scorps; will need the inclusion of live food. Some of these species just will not accept live food, and if they do, it is short livedm or they suffer from nutritional deficiencies that greatly shorten their lives, like within a year to a year and half. While you will find some dishonest people online, I have made many challenges over the years for people to document their success with dead only diets, still no evidence that I am wrong. Just talk to the lfs and other hobbyist in your area to find those keeping these species. I bet your lfs have many lions flowing through, but you are going to be hard pressed finding anyone keeping them as long as 2 years. Volitans are the outlier, ask about the other species we talk about in this forum.

I did lose my rhino recently, 5 years, which is extremely good, but I still have my suspicions, that she was poisoned. Rhinos do live between 10-15 years in the wild and usually do come in as a young adult, so you never know how old they are when they come in, so with all things considered, with such a difficult species, 5 years is pretty good, still sad. Because of the almost impossible task of finding scorps and other ambush predators from a clean source, and find clean food sources, it is becoming more discouraging. I suggest a good amount of research and preparation if you are considering keeping these species. I am not an "internet expert", I am confident of the information I share, but in the end, it is my opinion with the information I have.
Jeez I hate how dishonest these stores are since they deal with live animals! You mentioned volitans being the exception to dead foods on lions, what about fuzzys? I love my little one so much and want her to do well. She has no interest in live food but goes nuts for the dead foods I put in the tank! Its like she just doesnt get the live food thing, I got her when she was the size of a quarter in body (not including fins). I want her to live as long as possible Im very attached to her! And your advice and knowledge has always been spot on with predators so I trust what you say! :)

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez I hate how dishonest these stores are since they deal with live animals! You mentioned volitans being the exception to dead foods on lions, what about fuzzys? I love my little one so much and want her to do well. She has no interest in live food but goes nuts for the dead foods I put in the tank! Its like she just doesnt get the live food thing, I got her when she was the size of a quarter in body (not including fins). I want her to live as long as possible Im very attached to her! And your advice and knowledge has always been spot on with predators so I trust what you say! :)

It all comes down to what foods you are able to get them to eat; limiting thiaminese and including healthy fats and necessary minerals. I mention volitans frequently in this conversation, because they have a track record of being more agreeable to a variety of dead foods. Fuzzies would be 2nd, yet do seem to be demanding. I have kept fuzzies on dead only diets for several years but it was high maintenance, going into hunger strikes and being a royal pita to take food. I go over many of the dead foods I offer in this thread.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to what foods you are able to get them to eat; limiting thiaminese and including healthy fats and necessary minerals. I mention volitans frequently in this conversation, because they have a track record of being more agreeable to a variety of dead foods. Fuzzies would be 2nd, yet do seem to be demanding. I have kept fuzzies on dead only diets for several years but it was high maintenance, going into hunger strikes and being a royal pita to take food. I go over many of the dead foods I offer in this thread.

Yes thank you I read that and do give supplements to their food! She just goes crazy over pe mysis and will eat smaller cuts of other frozen like rods predator and plankton. If its bigger than she likes she just wont eat it! Thats mostly where I struggle with her is size of the food. I swear she doesnt know shes a lionfish where as the volitan will collect food and make a pile and then sit on it until he is hungry. Two very strange lions lol. She does go after reef frenzi Ive noticed too. I dont feed her any krill as Ive read your posts about it not being good for lions or eels. She does have a nice bulge in her belly but I just want her to live as long as she can since shes probably my favorite fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 39

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back