Angler fish tank mate ideas??

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a painted angler fish and he is all alone! I am fine with keeping him alone because I am aware that it might be healthier for him to be alone. But I was wondering in anyone had any fish that they had good experience keeping with a small angler. He lives in a 20-gallon tank and is about 2.5 inches right now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you know that it will quickly out grow that tank size. Respectfully.

Adding another fish that won't end up as food for it may be a task, because of the tank size.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing that can live with a painted angler in a 20g. Anglers can easily eat anything thats the same size as themselves and will even attempt to eat things larger. There is no fish that would be ok in a 20g that would be safe.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanna see pics of the angler! Love those fish!!

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently got a painted angler fish and he is all alone! I am fine with keeping him alone because I am aware that it might be healthier for him to be alone. But I was wondering in anyone had any fish that they had good experience keeping with a small angler. He lives in a 20-gallon tank and is about 2.5 inches right now.
First - check exactly what kind of angler you have. If it’s not a warty, then yes it will likely outgrow your tank quickly.
Second - I have two warty anglers in a 30L and they are just fine. Just make sure if you do two, they are and stay similar sized. If one gets much larger than the other, the smaller is lunch. you could also do a dwarf lion fish, again as long as it’s much larger in size.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest companion for the angler is a rock. Really neat fish though!!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 104 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.8%
Back