Angler or mantis ? Input is very appreciated!

BigFeesh

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
810
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into setting up a 20g long for a predator ! It would have to be something that I could be able to maintain in college ( in a couple years) I'm leaning toward the mantis or angler but what does everybody else think ? Or maybe one snowflake moray.

Suggestions please

Thanks, jack
 
im not sure about the angler, but i know thats too small of a tank for a snowflake eel.
i would get an acyrlic tank and do the mantis shrimp. especially a peacock mantis.
 
Last edited:
oh yes i forgot if you do get a bigger tank and really want a snowflake i have one. im not far from chicago
 
Mantis Shrimp for sure... If you can find a peacock, definetly one of the coolest creatures to own... But I like any and all, I have 4 of them...lol
 
Blue planet corals is 5 minute from where i live ( the original owner of bpc flamethrower chalice)store gets them in every other week! Will a 15 gallon be fine? And what do you do for your shrimp ? How many times fed, supplements stuff like that. And equipment stated please. I wanna paint the outside back wall of the aquarium black (maybe the sides to idk) with black aragonite and some not to intense LEDs so he really glow!
And if you have pics please post !:bigsmile:
Thanks
 
Blue planet corals is 5 minute from where i live ( the original owner of bpc flamethrower chalice)store gets them in every other week! Will a 15 gallon be fine? And what do you do for your shrimp ? How many times fed, supplements stuff like that. And equipment stated please. I wanna paint the outside back wall of the aquarium black (maybe the sides to idk) with black aragonite and some not to intense LEDs so he really glow!
And if you have pics please post !:bigsmile:
Thanks

you cant put them in a glass tank
 
For a Peacock, I would say 15g is to small. The recommended size is 100Litres = 26 gallons. Take a look at this list below...

You can use AGA aquarium, you just need to put padding on the bottom under the sand... Acrylic or eggcrate... Glass breakage is rare and usually happens when they are digging and making tunnels...

But don't listen to me, I would hate for you to have all that water on the floor. Good Luck, and these guys are bad butt...

Peacock Mantis = Odontodactylus scyllarus

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
 
I've always been fan of anglers (wartskin or clown anglers are my favorite). Once you have them, you really can't add anything else because they will eat anything even if it is twice as big. But they are extremely fun to look at although they just sit in one place. You could start to feed them ghost shrimp, then I train my anglers to eat frozen shrimp off of my hands. I hope this helps.
 
I'd say either one would be an awesome in a college dorm room! Mantis are fun to watch, but might be a little more on the dangerous side for those who come home drunk and want to have some fun with their drunk friends:xd: But Hey, if that were to happen,:angel: I would love to hear about it or maybe even seen a short video of it!
 
I'd say either one would be an awesome in a college dorm room! Mantis are fun to watch, but might be a little more on the dangerous side for those who come home drunk and want to have some fun with their drunk friends:xd: But Hey, if that were to happen,:angel: I would love to hear about it or maybe even seen a short video of it!
Haha I know to much about it and am respect it too much too even think about putting my hand near his "man" cave haha even if I was drunk! Haha but only 17 so college isn't happening for about a year and half! What about a 20 long ? Still to small ? What are some other cool mantis that arnt the pest ones that come on rock?
Pics of you mantis would be awesome!
 
Oh I am convinced on the peacock mantis in a 20 gal! It's going to have a couple healthy healthy algaes so it will be a little refuge hooked up to my 29 gallon biocube! That's ok right?
 
Ok thanks ! What mantis would be good? What is your favorite mantis?
Peacock mantis in a 20 long be good?

Any advice in hooking the two systems together with PVC piping , etc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new