Annoying Clownfish

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a pair of two ocellaris clownfish but I need to clean algae off the glass put my hand in with some gloves on and they just won’t stop attacking me or whatever I’m cleaning it with it’s so bad that I have to scare them into a corner or something how do I get them to trust me?

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns do this as well. For me it’s mainly just the female. I will either use a glove if it’s something I need to get at by hand. I generally use a magnet scraper for cleaning the glass.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I’d have difficulty putting that in too as soon as somethings in their tank they are quick to attack

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I own a pair of two ocellaris clownfish but I need to clean algae off the glass put my hand in with some gloves on and they just won’t stop attacking me or whatever I’m cleaning it with it’s so bad that I have to scare them into a corner or something how do I get them to trust me?
They are territorial and often do this with both new additions to tank and their owners.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are mean for sure.. one bit me and drew blood once.. MINE typically they like to tail whip me, but it's all good.... I think of it this way. Im intruding in their home.. I would probably bite someone that came into my home when I was not expecting it also.

Their bites really do not hurt unless you have a LARGE clown.. the one that bit me was a good 6-7 inches long

Last edited by a moderator:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yes clowns are jerks. Its more of a shock then any real damage done by the bite itself. I have left bloodied and burnt after a good bite for some reason I wasnt expecting. Bloodied by the tank trim and when I had mh lighting I got burnt by reacting to the shock of being bitten. Pretty sure the fish enjoyed the outcome both times.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if you figure this out share with everyone out! Clowns love to attack hands lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are mean for sure.. one bit me and drew blood once.. MINE typically they like to tail whip me, but it's all good.... I think of it this way. Im intruding in their home.. I would probably bite someone that came into my home when I was not expecting it also.

Their bites really do not hurt unless you have a LARGE clown.. the one that bit me was a good 6-7 inches long
I had one that drew blood all the time when I was putting nori on a clip. She jumped out of the water and bit my forehead!!!

Mr. Acantho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey bast the jerks to oblivion if they get close to you.

Shouldn't hurt them by getting air at them.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that drew blood all the time when I was putting nori on a clip. She jumped out of the water and bit my forehead!!!
LOL.. the one that got me was my friends.. I went over to help do tank maintenance when he was not able to with injuries. I went to move a coral to get something and the dang ninny came from across the 300 gal tank and got me.. it moved faster then a fat kid seeing cake.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.. the one that got me was my friends.. I went over to help do tank maintenance when he was not able to with injuries. I went to move a coral to get something and the dang ninny came from across the 300 gal tank and got me.. it moved faster then a fat kid seeing cake.
Oh yeah when they want to bite they are the fastest fish ever! Lol

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they just will come out of nowhere and scare the heck out of you LoL:face-savoring-food:
Yup, even when I expect it mine manages to still sneak a nip on me. I tell myself all the time, "don't yank your hand out". Well, reflex always wins.

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, even when I expect it mine manages to still sneak a nip on me. I tell myself all the time, "don't yank your hand out". Well, reflex always wins.
lol
my clowns are sketchy too, show em whose boss jkjk just put food in there before hand so their alittle distracted

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon in the 40g that I had since it was a thumbnail size cutest little thing . Never has showed any aggression ever. And it is a Maroon? In the other tank I have a pair of Occy's that were playing some Barry White tunes pretty much 24/7 until I got a wrasse and a scopias tang. Those two feel that the place the clowns had scoped out to get their grove on was the place to hang. Since then, complete birth control... All of the fish hang out in just one corner of the tank all day. But since the party has been crashed, they are fine with me cleaning the glass by them....

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine finally started hosting the bubble tip. No aggression until they found their new home. Now they fake charge and tail whip me. Which I’m glad at least they haven’t bitten…….yet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back