OP
M

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are sort of using the product wrong. Note the application & dosing instructions. It notes at the beginning to adjust your systems calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium to your desired levels. Use whatever 2 part or single components to adjust to desired values. Then follow their dosage guidelines. Then the flow chart to adjust.

Your display is new. Have you run a series of tests daily or every other day, or twice a week for a couple weeks to see what your consumption rate(s) are? You need to understand what that is before anything else. It very well could be that a water change alone is enough.

1696607218728.png
I test twice a week, my dkh drops from 10-7 in about a week to 10 days, calcium from 420-400. In was hoping AFR could hold me closer to my parameters after a water change, but alk jumped quickly, with calcium moving the opposite direction, which just seemed odd to me. I was hoping to just dose 1 product as opposed to a 2 or 3 part with matching containers and dosing pumps.

But alk went to 10 and calcium to 360, which could be a product of increased coral growth with respect to the calcium. I’m going to dial back my dosage to 8-8.5 alk and keep it stable there, and see if I need to dose anything else. Even with water changes my alk drops quickly. Maybe I eventually switch to the balling method or whatever, but wanted to give AFR a run.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test twice a week, my dkh drops from 10-7 in about a week to 10 days, calcium from 420-400. In was hoping AFR could hold me closer to my parameters after a water change, but alk jumped quickly, with calcium moving the opposite direction, which just seemed odd to me. I was hoping to just dose 1 product as opposed to a 2 or 3 part with matching containers and dosing pumps.

But alk went to 10 and calcium to 360, which could be a product of increased coral growth with respect to the calcium. I’m going to dial back my dosage to 8-8.5 alk and keep it stable there, and see if I need to dose anything else. Even with water changes my alk drops quickly. Maybe I eventually switch to the balling method or whatever, but wanted to give AFR a run.

That seems like a lot of consumption but maybe I missed how mature the display is or how full of corals be it frag or colony. Apologies for missing it.

It does do a good job of keeping it stable at least in my case. As you mentioned I really like the idea of a single dosing solution. I run a mixed reef, about 6 years old, with several large SPS colonies. I aim to keep my alk steady at 8.5. Calcium is between 420 and Mg falls where it is and I don't stress too much about it. I am dosing 85/ml day. I mix up 3600 ml batches using the powder.

I've had to correct Alk a few times and use ESV 2 parts for this. Prior to TM AFR I was using ESV. I only switched because I wanted a single dosing head for that and use the 2nd one for something else. I've been using AFR now for about 2 years. Am I seeing better results compared to when I was running ESV 2 part? Hard to say. Corals are growing. They have color. I can't complain. It is just easier to use if that makes sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I continue to believe this is a test issue. Calcium cannot be consumed without a fixed amount of alk consumed, and AFR contains about that ratio.

OP
OP
M

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to order some new/different test kits and check everything again next week. I really don’t want to “chase” numbers, just looking for something to hold me steady. Tank is full of mostly LPS that are growing well. Will update when I test again with my lowered dosage running for a week, and with a new CA test kit.

OP
OP
M

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue to believe this is a test issue. Calcium cannot be consumed without a fixed amount of alk consumed, and AFR contains about that ratio.
Well, Randy, you're right again. New test kit for calcium, sitting at 440. I had dropped my dosing for the last 4 days to 8ml a day from 12. Dkh still sitting at 10, down from 10.5. Lowered the dose a little bit from 8ml today, but I'll just test weekly from here and adjust. Also po4 bumped up a bit with the lowered dose, now at .05, so I'm pretty happy where I'm at right now!

Thanks all! Many minds are better than just mine.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am about done with AFR. Been using it for a couple years now and 3 things always happen. My alk always creeps up, my calcium always creeps down and my mag floats in a good range. Its not "balanced" for my system. Thats not to say it is not a good product for other systems, just doesnt work on mine. I am looking into alternatives.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back