Another Apex salinity probe thread. Help please.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

my salinity probe has been working correctly for a year + now. No issues.
I decided to give my sump a thorough cleaning and now the salinity probe doesn’t work anymore. It reads in the 60s.
I tried recalibration, and it didn’t work either. I tried manual calibration too with the probe in my sump and it still doesn’t work. Reads in the 60 range.
I have read the countless threads on how to properly calibrate and micro bubbles, temperature, TC factor, letting it dry for a couple days, etc.
But no matter what I try the apex still reads my salt is in the 60 range. I have a refractometer and also a Hannah salinity tester. I calibrated both of them so I know my tank is at 34.8. Any additional ideas besides micro bubbles and stray voltage? I am pretty sure those are not the issues. Could the probe just be broken now? How to know?
thanks!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is likely air getting to the probe or dirty. . . . Soak in ro water.
There is another recommendation I forget but i'll put you in touch with our Apex guy.......................... @SuncrestReef

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is likely air getting to the probe or dirty. . . . Soak in ro water.
There is another recommendation I forget but i'll put you in touch with our Apex guy.......................... @SuncrestReef
Thanks @vetteguy53081, I have inverted and twisted the probe completely underwater so I doubt it’s trapped air. Will give it another try.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Still doesn't work. Bummer, it was working ok before. But now I get why there are so many posts regarding the calibration of this probe. This is a few days already of trying everything in every thread I could find. I can say unequivocally it has nothing to do with microbubbles. I am almost ready to give up and just ignore it and use my hannah salinity checker for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. Of course, had to post the above to immediately find a solution afterwards. So here it is. The simple solution was to follow @rkpetersen steps here: the reboot was the key step.

Remove probe from apex
Make fake calibration
Reboot apex (I just unplugged it)
Then repeat a MANUAL calibration
Working again. Yay!
@rkpetersen thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back