Using apex salinity probe for conductivity

Tangdora

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2020
Messages
892
Reaction score
505
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone is using an apex salinity probe as a conductivity meter. We all know the headache it takes to get the salinity right. Wondering if the same behaviors applies for conductivity (ie trapped bubbles etc).

Also ,

2) how accurate would you say it is
3) are you running it inline or just sitting in stagnate water. If inline how are you connecting it.

Thanks.
 
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you trying to use the salinity probe to measure the conductivity of your tank water? Because that's what it's doing already. It just translates the conductivity unit into a density or the practical salinity scale.

If you want to use it to measure the conductivity of your RO/DI water to know when to replace your DI-resin then I can promise you it won't work because the salinity probe is working in the mS/cm range and the conductivity of your RO/DI needs to be within the µS/cm range.
 
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you trying to use the salinity probe to measure the conductivity of your tank water? Because that's what it's doing already. It just translates the conductivity unit into a density or the practical salinity scale.

If you want to use it to measure the conductivity of your RO/DI water to know when to replace your DI-resin then I can promise you it won't work because the salinity probe is working in the mS/cm range and the conductivity of your RO/DI needs to be within the µS/cm range.
Yes rodi, not tank. Also not looking to use the base port on the base unit which is limited to high range measuring. The pm2 appears to support low range and looks to be designed for rodi testing. As to what range it can actually measure down to remains unclear at the moment.



IMG_3434.jpeg
 
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you trying to use the salinity probe to measure the conductivity of your tank water? Because that's what it's doing already. It just translates the conductivity unit into a density or the practical salinity scale.

If you want to use it to measure the conductivity of your RO/DI water to know when to replace your DI-resin then I can promise you it won't work because the salinity probe is working in the mS/cm range and the conductivity of your RO/DI needs to be within the µS/cm range.
Yes rodi, not tank. Also not looking to use the base port on the base unit which is limited to high range measuring. The pm2 appears to support low range and looks to be designed for rodi testing. As to what range it can actually measure down to remains unclear at the moment.



IMG_3434.jpeg
I see... But I would assume there is a specialized probe for that because I doubt you can use the same hardware for both ranges even when connected to different ports.

I don't own an apex so that's the point I can't help with but there is a reason why for example hanna instruments sells different conductivity meters for different ranges. They would otherwise just sell one probe with different calibration solutions.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new