Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through it, the bill is targeting the import, export, and collection of all Marine fish species used in the "Marine Aquarium Trade" but there is a statement at the end clarifying that it does not apply to fish harvested for human consumption. Wouldn't we just submit as evidence all the photos of the Pacific Island fish markets showing that almost all the fish we import they consume?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is interesting that of all the problems we face, the marine aquarium trade is on the list of things our government spends time on :grinning-squinting-face:
This is a house rep out of Hawai'i where there are already bans in place. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has him in their pocket and they wrote this bill and had him submit it with his name on it.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Gman83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like it got stalled in committee, hasn't had any movement since it was introduced. On the upside, the House is so disfunctional, it probably wont ever go anywhere.

There is an exception in the bill, it would not apply to approved aquacultured and maricultured coral reef species.

If it starts to get traction, the best thing we can do is write our representatives telling them why it is unnecessary and a bad bill.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a site dedicated to the hobby is going to have a bias, but this part of the article is flat out wrong:

"Upon passage of the bill, all imports, exports, and collection of stony corals, seahorses, and giant clams, whether from aquaculture, mariculture, or wild sources, would be banned with all other marine aquarium organisms being subject to ban following petition and litigation from activist organizations. In short order, almost all marine aquarium organisms would eventually be banned from import, export, and collection.

Even maricultured coral would be banned under the Saving NEMO act."

Here is the actual language from the exceptions section of the bill, Sec. 2(c)(1)(C): " IN GENERAL.—Subsection (b) does not apply with respect to an individual of a covered coral reef species that is...a product of a qualified aquaculture or mariculture facility, as determined by the appropriate Secretary;"

I'm sure this would result in less imports, but not an outright ban on everything. The gist of it appears to be ensuring livestock is either responsibly collected, or comes from a aquaculture/mariculture facility.

Also, the name is stupid.

Last edited:

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a site dedicated to the hobby is going to have a bias, but this part is flat out wrong:

"Upon passage of the bill, all imports, exports, and collection of stony corals, seahorses, and giant clams, whether from aquaculture, mariculture, or wild sources, would be banned with all other marine aquarium organisms being subject to ban following petition and litigation from activist organizations. In short order, almost all marine aquarium organisms would eventually be banned from import, export, and collection.

From the exceptions section of the bill, Sec. 2(c)(1)(C): " IN GENERAL.—Subsection (b) does not apply with respect to an individual of a covered coral reef species that is...a product of a qualified aquaculture or mariculture facility, as determined by the appropriate Secretary;"

I'm sure this would result in less imports, but not an outright ban on everything. The gist of it appears to be ensuring livestock is either responsibly collected, or comes from a aquaculture/mariculture facility.

A facility that most likely has no requirements to meet beyond paying a fee.

Leaving this up to the 'appropriate secretary' makes it very easy for this ban to include everything a potentially unfit person determines to be 'product of a qualified aqualture or mariculture facility'

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A facility that most likely has no requirements to meet beyond paying a fee.

Leaving this up to the 'appropriate secretary' makes it very easy for this ban to include everything a potentially unfit person determines to be 'product of a qualified aqualture or mariculture facility'
The bill includes requirements for qualified facilities. Feel free to read it.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if we draft something like this and ask everyone to write their congress person...
The Positive Environmental Impact of Reef Hobbyists

I am writing to you as a constituent and an avid supporter of environmental conservation, particularly in the realm of marine ecosystems. It has come to my attention that the contributions of reef hobbyists to environmental protection are often overlooked. I would like to take this opportunity to highlight how this community positively influences marine conservation and public awareness.

Reef hobbyists are not just enthusiasts who appreciate marine life from a distance; they are active participants in the conservation of marine ecosystems. Through the maintenance of home aquariums, these hobbyists develop a deep understanding of and appreciation for the delicate balance required for reef ecosystems to thrive. This hands-on experience is invaluable in fostering a conservation mindset.

Moreover, reef hobbyists often become ambassadors for marine conservation in their communities. By sharing their passion and knowledge about marine life with friends, family, and the public, they raise awareness about the importance of protecting these vital ecosystems. This grassroots level of education is crucial in building a broader public understanding and support for marine conservation efforts.

Importantly, many hobbyists actively participate in and support coral propagation initiatives. These efforts are not just about sustaining their aquariums; they have real-world implications for reef restoration projects. By cultivating corals, hobbyists help to mitigate the impacts of coral bleaching and other environmental stressors on natural reefs.

Furthermore, the reef hobbyist community often collaborates with scientists and conservation organizations. This collaboration includes sharing valuable data on coral health and growth patterns, contributing to a larger body of research that can inform policy and conservation strategies.

Therefore, I respectfully urge you to recognize and support the positive contributions of reef hobbyists in environmental conservation efforts. By fostering a supportive legislative environment for these enthusiasts, we can further enhance their ability to contribute to the preservation and restoration of our precious marine ecosystems.

Thank you for considering this perspective. I am confident that with your support and leadership, we can make significant strides in marine conservation that benefit not only our environment but also future generations.

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if we draft something like this and ask everyone to write their congress person...
The Positive Environmental Impact of Reef Hobbyists

I am writing to you as a constituent and an avid supporter of environmental conservation, particularly in the realm of marine ecosystems. It has come to my attention that the contributions of reef hobbyists to environmental protection are often overlooked. I would like to take this opportunity to highlight how this community positively influences marine conservation and public awareness.

Reef hobbyists are not just enthusiasts who appreciate marine life from a distance; they are active participants in the conservation of marine ecosystems. Through the maintenance of home aquariums, these hobbyists develop a deep understanding of and appreciation for the delicate balance required for reef ecosystems to thrive. This hands-on experience is invaluable in fostering a conservation mindset.

Moreover, reef hobbyists often become ambassadors for marine conservation in their communities. By sharing their passion and knowledge about marine life with friends, family, and the public, they raise awareness about the importance of protecting these vital ecosystems. This grassroots level of education is crucial in building a broader public understanding and support for marine conservation efforts.

Importantly, many hobbyists actively participate in and support coral propagation initiatives. These efforts are not just about sustaining their aquariums; they have real-world implications for reef restoration projects. By cultivating corals, hobbyists help to mitigate the impacts of coral bleaching and other environmental stressors on natural reefs.

Furthermore, the reef hobbyist community often collaborates with scientists and conservation organizations. This collaboration includes sharing valuable data on coral health and growth patterns, contributing to a larger body of research that can inform policy and conservation strategies.

Therefore, I respectfully urge you to recognize and support the positive contributions of reef hobbyists in environmental conservation efforts. By fostering a supportive legislative environment for these enthusiasts, we can further enhance their ability to contribute to the preservation and restoration of our precious marine ecosystems.

Thank you for considering this perspective. I am confident that with your support and leadership, we can make significant strides in marine conservation that benefit not only our environment but also future generations.

Very well written. Thank you.

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bill says it wouldn't apply if collected under a scientifically-based management plan. So the countries that want to export will need to develop fishery management plans, which honestly wouldn't be a bad thing. It's just if they want to do it and if can they enforce it to the satisfactory of the US.

I would like to know my fish are sustainably collected. I think the jury is still out on the size of the impact. For food fishes, you usually want to prohibit take until they had a chance to breed at once; this is why they have size limits on fish. We typically want small juveniles for our aquariums. So if a fish is both a food fish and an aquarium fish, they get hammered on both sides.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s hope both these bills fall flat on their faces. We’ve got far too many restrictions on us as it is. I want the reefs protected as much as anyone but outlawing most if not everything we keep is absolutely ridiculous.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright bet... I'm going to start a black market for coral and go sell them to pepole in shady alleys. I'll be making 50$ off of xinia.
There’s a site that charges $150 for xenia now. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s hope both these bills fall flat on their faces. We’ve got far too many restrictions on us as it is. I want the reefs protected as much as anyone but outlawing most if not everything we keep is absolutely ridiculous.
It won't go anywhere - slow news day I suppose.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a site dedicated to the hobby is going to have a bias, but this part of the article is flat out wrong:

Here is the actual language from the exceptions section of the bill, Sec. 2(c)(1)(C): " IN GENERAL.—Subsection (b) does not apply with respect to an individual of a covered coral reef species that is...a product of a qualified aquaculture or mariculture facility, as determined by the appropriate Secretary;"

I think the NEMO name is actually copyright infringement! The Georgia Aquarium had to call their mascot Deepo instead of Nemo.

Another thing that I’ve seen with USDA regulations is the reliance on the “appropriate secretary” to approve activities. The various agencies have no resources for this oversight and no funding is tied to the bill. The result is that the law then simply STOPS the activity as there is nobody to approve it.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back