Illegalizing Aquariums? H.R.6447 - Saving NEMO Act

Nick4978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this bill dubbed the "Saving Nemo act" being floated through Congress to basically ban the aquarium hobby

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this bill dubbed the "Saving Nemo act" being floated through Congress to basically ban the aquarium hobby

Why don't we ban collecting fish for food and fishing while we are at it? *facepalm*

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anti-pet/zoo/whatever crowd thinks it has a lot more influence than it actually does. How long has PETA been trying to phase out animal captivity? Meanwhile the name of their organization these days is literally a catch-all for radical animal rights activists lol, like calling every bandage a Band-Aid... all their efforts have gotten them is pointed and laughed at.

People love seeing marine aquariums, and the vast majority of the public has no opinion beyond that. The only people in support of this bill are extremists, which are few and far between, and difficult to cultivate more of, especially when public opinion on the matter is overall positive. Even the fight against captive cetaceans, which is far more controversial, hasn't been fruitful.

Economic considerations will prevail if nothing else. All of us here know how much money dedicated reefers are willing to pour out. I seriously doubt many capitalist politicians would knowingly choose to eradicate such a productive market lol. This bill stands 0 chance

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't we ban collecting fish for food and fishing while we are at it? *facepalm*
This photo has been used a ton, but definitely shows what I'm meaning... How is this more ok than keeping one as a pet?

I mean I eat fish, but if they are truly concerned about animals and not their agendas, this seems super hypocritical.

1706372428517.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back