Another bill against marine fish: H.R. 6447

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has personally managed a wholesale facility for seven years in the past, I have gained unique insights into the marine aquarium trade. During this time, I made the decision to cease business with two overseas suppliers upon discovering their harmful practices of collecting live rock directly from reefs. Informed by reliable sources, including a highly respected direct collector operating in Tonga and Fiji, I learned that sustainable collection of live rock involves responsibly sourcing pieces that are naturally detached from reefs or from areas undergoing harbor expansion.

It is clear that regulation of rock and coral collection is essential to ensure sustainable practices. However, such regulation should be effectively implemented at the local level in the countries of origin, rather than through outright bans on livestock. From my experience, I am convinced that our hobby, when practiced responsibly, can significantly contribute to the preservation of reef ecosystems.

I encourage fellow enthusiasts to actively engage with their congressional representatives. Our goal is to ensure that we can not only continue to enjoy our hobby but also uphold our role as stewards of the reef, advocating for sustainable practices that benefit both our aquariums and the natural marine environment.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is in itself absurd because Pixar got the name Nemo from Jules Verne. It's public domain.
It may be that what is protected is actually “finding Nemo”, not the word Nemo itself. The public aquarium case that I referred to tried to use a cartoon clownfish and call it Nemo….that didn’t fly.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thought of myself as a conservationist; didn’t realize I was such a selfish jerk giving these animals (specifically coral) a place to thrive outside of our warming oceans where they are eventually sure to die.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as growing aiptasia is not banned under the bill - I will be alright!

Joking.. really stupid things - those people should focus on things that really matter, such as reduction in fishing activities, trawling and oil exploration/mining.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Rep. Case has been going after this for a while:

H.R.4928 - Coral Reef Conservation and Protection Act

He has been writing and proposing versions of this bill since 2003 (so the last 20 years). Each time appears that he has rewritten it to become slightly more vague in an attempt to gain more traction.
This original bill is a lot more straightforward:

"Coral Reef Conservation and Protection Act of 2004 - Makes it unlawful to: (1) take any covered coral reef species within U.S. waters; (2) import into or export from the United States any covered coral reef species; (3) possess, sell, purchase, deliver, carry, transport, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any covered coral reef species taken or imported illegally; or (4) attempt a prohibited act involving a covered coral reef species. Defines "covered coral reef species" to include any species of coral or ornamental reef fish listed in or added to Appendix II of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Exempts from the prohibitions of this Act covered coral reef species taken incidentally or for: (1) a qualified scientifically-based management plan; (2) a cooperative breeding program; (3) an aquaculture and mariculture facility; (4) scientific, museum, or zoological purposes; or (5) personal consumption. Denies an exemption for species taken using any destructive collection practice (e.g., reef-dredging, explosions, or poisons).

Authorizes the Secretary of State to consult with foreign governments to encourage the protection of coral reef species and to take steps to eliminate destructive collection practices.

Directs the Secretaries of the Interior and of Commerce to coordinate with the Coral Reef Task Force for the conservation and management of coral reef ecosystems.

Establishes civil and criminal penalties for violations of this Act."

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if we draft something like this and ask everyone to write their congress person...
The Positive Environmental Impact of Reef Hobbyists

I am writing to you as a constituent and an avid supporter of environmental conservation, particularly in the realm of marine ecosystems. It has come to my attention that the contributions of reef hobbyists to environmental protection are often overlooked. I would like to take this opportunity to highlight how this community positively influences marine conservation and public awareness.

Reef hobbyists are not just enthusiasts who appreciate marine life from a distance; they are active participants in the conservation of marine ecosystems. Through the maintenance of home aquariums, these hobbyists develop a deep understanding of and appreciation for the delicate balance required for reef ecosystems to thrive. This hands-on experience is invaluable in fostering a conservation mindset.

Moreover, reef hobbyists often become ambassadors for marine conservation in their communities. By sharing their passion and knowledge about marine life with friends, family, and the public, they raise awareness about the importance of protecting these vital ecosystems. This grassroots level of education is crucial in building a broader public understanding and support for marine conservation efforts.

Importantly, many hobbyists actively participate in and support coral propagation initiatives. These efforts are not just about sustaining their aquariums; they have real-world implications for reef restoration projects. By cultivating corals, hobbyists help to mitigate the impacts of coral bleaching and other environmental stressors on natural reefs.

Furthermore, the reef hobbyist community often collaborates with scientists and conservation organizations. This collaboration includes sharing valuable data on coral health and growth patterns, contributing to a larger body of research that can inform policy and conservation strategies.

Therefore, I respectfully urge you to recognize and support the positive contributions of reef hobbyists in environmental conservation efforts. By fostering a supportive legislative environment for these enthusiasts, we can further enhance their ability to contribute to the preservation and restoration of our precious marine ecosystems.

Thank you for considering this perspective. I am confident that with your support and leadership, we can make significant strides in marine conservation that benefit not only our environment but also future generations.
Except it doesn’t give a stance on the bill. Are you for the bill or against it?

Btrainrolls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the NEMO name is actually copyright infringement! The Georgia Aquarium had to call their mascot Deepo instead of Nemo.

Another thing that I’ve seen with USDA regulations is the reliance on the “appropriate secretary” to approve activities. The various agencies have no resources for this oversight and no funding is tied to the bill. The result is that the law then simply STOPS the activity as there is nobody to approve it.

Jay
Exactly, They did that here in Oregon for dredging. You have to file for a permit l, but no one issues the permit after you pay. So it’s impossible to do the activity.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work in animal conservation. There was a definite part of me that hated the exotic pet trade. (I did work mostly with big cats so it is a bit different as they are a far worse pet.)

However anyone who’s had any success with animal conservation knows that it’s money and human interest that saves animals and ecosystems. This hobby provides a ton of both. As a community we can’t deny that we are the direct cause of the loss of millions of fish and corals but compared to pollution, climate change, disease, habitat destruction, and fishing/collection for human consumption the hobby does comparatively little. However what this hobby does die is it adds the highest monetary value for these organisms and requires them to be as healthy as possible. More than any practice we require healthy coral reefs and are willing to pay a ton for it. If the hobby is suddenly banned will the collectors across the world give up and take up accounting or the theatrical arts. No they will continue to do what they know how to do and if they have to switch from carefully collecting live fish for a lot of money per fish to netting tons of fish to sell for food they will do that.

Now we could of course do better. Should we continue to accept fish from places that allow cyanide collection for example? Should we be better at encouraging captive breeding programs, aquaculture, and mariculture? In the end though this is a hobby that is not a particularly moral hobby but a hobby that does bring in a ton of money and interest that goes to saving reefs. Even if we are not actively trying to save them accidental funding is better than nothing. Banning the hobby does nothing.
If people are not able to see the animals that are tring to be saved they start not to care what happens to them. This has been shown over and over when zoos are shut down and the public doesn't get to see what they are asked to save the donations stop and people loose interest.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If people are not able to see the animals that are tring to be saved they start not to care what happens to them. This has been shown over and over when zoos are shut down and the public doesn't get to see what they are asked to save the donations stop and people loose interest.
This is really interesting - what is the definition of 'zoo' in this article. Because - of major city zoo's I have not heard of many closing. But there are also small community 'zoos' as well.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a site dedicated to the hobby is going to have a bias, but this part of the article is flat out wrong:

"Upon passage of the bill, all imports, exports, and collection of stony corals, seahorses, and giant clams, whether from aquaculture, mariculture, or wild sources, would be banned with all other marine aquarium organisms being subject to ban following petition and litigation from activist organizations. In short order, almost all marine aquarium organisms would eventually be banned from import, export, and collection.

Even maricultured coral would be banned under the Saving NEMO act."

Here is the actual language from the exceptions section of the bill, Sec. 2(c)(1)(C): " IN GENERAL.—Subsection (b) does not apply with respect to an individual of a covered coral reef species that is...a product of a qualified aquaculture or mariculture facility, as determined by the appropriate Secretary;"

I'm sure this would result in less imports, but not an outright ban on everything. The gist of it appears to be ensuring livestock is either responsibly collected, or comes from a aquaculture/mariculture facility.

Also, the name is stupid.

I'll give you my queen trigger when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Just saying, it starts here and then where do we end up?

Also, the name is oh so stupid.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - if you look at the list many of the torn down zoos were re-built or there are names torn down in the 1800's. So - I wouldn't say there are a rash of zoo closings.
I don’t think anybody intimated that there a rash of closings. I think the point was that in total it is documented that the closings in aggregate have allowed people to become disconnected.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think anybody intimated that there a rash of closings. I think the point was that in total it is documented that the closings in aggregate have allowed people to become disconnected.
I was replying to : " This has been shown over and over when zoos are shut down and the public doesn't get to see what they are asked to save the donations stop and people loose interest."

I was curious where this data came from. Thats all. The interesting thing about your link was that the majority of closing zoos did so decades ago - and many were rebuilt bigger or better, etc. BTW - I tend to agree with the thought - I just wondered where the information came from

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - if you look at the list many of the torn down zoos were re-built or there are names torn down in the 1800's. So - I wouldn't say there are a rash of zoo closings.

Very few major zoos have closed in the past 50 years. In many cases, the ones on the list (SeaWorld Ohio, Belle Isle and the Disney facility) were closed because the parent company needed to change or downsize, and the facility itself is still in operation.

Jay

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last major aquarium I went to - I'll call it out, it was the virginia aquarium in virginia beach - their 'reef tank' was just BTAs and clarki clowns. They had a 'coral propagation' exhibit which contained three or four frags in a 40 breeder tank with 10k of needless equipment attached to it. Don't count on institutions to have any clue about coral.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last major aquarium I went to - I'll call it out, it was the virginia aquarium in virginia beach - their 'reef tank' was just BTAs and clarki clowns. They had a 'coral propagation' exhibit which contained three or four frags in a 40 breeder tank with 10k of needless equipment attached to it. Don't count on institutions to have any clue about coral.
Same experience at Moody Gardens in Galveston, Texas. Reef representation was at most 1% of the displays, and it was poorly cared for.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back