Another bill against marine fish: H.R. 6447

Mabry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a former President of a sportfishing conservation association in Northeast Florida. I am all too familiar with government restrictions based upon false data and government "control" by people who know nothing about the recreational fishing and boating industry. For example, Red Snapper are so abundant that you can't catch other (unregulated) bottom fish (i.e., Grouper). We cannot keep any Snapper except for a very few (2 or 3) days in July (during hurricane season). It makes it difficult to enjoy fishing with friends and family (especially my grandchildren). You need to take your lawyer along to interpret the ever-changing rules and regulations.
The idiots in D.C. do more harm than good when it comes to fish management. The Florida Wildlife Commission does a much better job by employing slot size limits. The Feds don't; they allow everyone to cull their catches on Snapper Days and keep one per person each day. Culling feeds barracuda and dolphins. Keeping one big fish kills off the very population they need to protect...the Big Mamas!
Fasten your seat belts, there's going to be a lot of lies and deceit justifying whatever they want to control next. Their rationalizations will leave you dumbfounded. So much so, that I sold my offshore fishing boat. Do I have to sell my reef aquarium too? This won't go away. Call your representatives now!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bills that actually get passed have some form of monetary value for the goverment or the individuals who wrote it. Can't see how that would work unless once banned, the government would take over the industry and heavily regulate and tax the marine livestock industry. Case in point, lawmakers have invested heavily in companies who would install and maintain private charging stations at residences or business parking areas. See the push for electric vehicles at this point.
This. ^

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rachael "Do you like our owl?"
Deckard "Is it artificial?"
Rachael "Of course it is."
Deckard "Must be expensive."
Rachael "Very. I'm Rachael."
Deckard "Deckard."

Rachael "It seems you feel our work is not a benefit to the public."

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Hawaii bill was an example, it will keep getting modified and reintroduced until it does pass...something about beating a dead horse?
Sounds like my governor re: school vouchers! Lol

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw crap it was Ed Case? Sigh, of all the things he wants to focus on. I'm so glad he's addressing the urgent matter of the aquarium trade rather than the nurse strike we have going on right now, or maybe even the huge homeless problem we have. Better yet he can figure out how our disaster of a rail took up billions of dollars and is STILL way behind schedule!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw crap it was Ed Case? Sigh, of all the things he wants to focus on. I'm so glad he's addressing the urgent matter of the aquarium trade rather than the nurse strike we have going on right now, or maybe even the huge homeless problem we have. Better yet he can figure out how our disaster of a rail took up billions of dollars and is STILL way behind schedule!
So when is Ed Case up for reelection? Is anyone running against him? If so it is time for all of us in the hobby and industry to fund his replacement. Do it quietly so he is just at a loss to understand why his political career is over and there is no one to blame but himself. Tired of political hacks thinking they are elected to ruin the little peoples lives.

This is a direct threat to Hawaiian business like Ocean Rider and others who do great work.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool: Not that I agree with the Bill in any way, but at first glance it appears that it only prohibits "any person" from "take, import, export, etc." of an individual specimen.

So make sure that if you're collecting, take two.
See you in court, and bring a good attorney to make this argument stick.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bill says it wouldn't apply if collected under a scientifically-based management plan. So the countries that want to export will need to develop fishery management plans, which honestly wouldn't be a bad thing. It's just if they want to do it and if can they enforce it to the satisfactory of the US.

I would like to know my fish are sustainably collected. I think the jury is still out on the size of the impact. For food fishes, you usually want to prohibit take until they had a chance to breed at once; this is why they have size limits on fish. We typically want small juveniles for our aquariums. So if a fish is both a food fish and an aquarium fish, they get hammered on both sides.
This is always the requirement “Science Based.” Once anyone makes a plan then the lawyers file to stop the collection because they claim the science is faulty and unreliable. Win in court and they file another one, until they win and impose their will to not allow fishing. That is the history, it started in Hawaii and now they want to expand it everywhere.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed. And they only have to find one 'expert witness' to get their way. This is not hard. When 99.9% of scientists agree on something that just means for every 1000 scientists there's 1 guy with a loony take who's credentials are just as good as the others. That's the guy they'll bring to trial. Remember what 1 out of 10 dentists say.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is interesting that of all the problems we face, the marine aquarium trade is on the list of things our government spends time on :grinning-squinting-face:
Oh I literally said that same thing too.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CORAL magazine just posted an editorial on this. IMO - this bill is fatally flawed (like these early bills often are) and it isn't going anywhere, but the next version might gain traction. Here is the CORAL op-ed:

https://www.coralmagazine.com/2024/...atest-afront-to-the-aquarium-hobby-and-trade/

Jay
There is no way to agree or disagree - but - if one looks at the restrictions on selling Native American Art and other tribal art (even if there is a clear provenance to a sale taking place in 1880) - There is a bill which started with NAGPRA and gone forward from this). Many of those arguments were also fatally flawed, yet - the bill and progressively more excessive support) - and are voted for. This bill has been ongoing and changed for years. In the case of living animals - I believe the Lobby out there is supporting no aquaria - unless perhaps a permit, etc. (the permit, etc was made up in my mind - not saying someone proposed it). - but I can see it coming - the only aquarist that can keep a saltwater tank > (@brandon429 's pico bowl) will need a permit

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have also read this, if it were to pass, it would kill the fish and coral industry in the whole country, ie fish stores etc, tank builders, it would also put people out of business world wide, exporters and importers, all the people in the pacific Islands, at least for anyone who supplies the United States. Hope it doesn't go through.

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bill says it wouldn't apply if collected under a scientifically-based management plan. So the countries that want to export will need to develop fishery management plans, which honestly wouldn't be a bad thing. It's just if they want to do it and if can they enforce it to the satisfactory of the US.

I would like to know my fish are sustainably collected. I think the jury is still out on the size of the impact. For food fishes, you usually want to prohibit take until they had a chance to breed at once; this is why they have size limits on fish. We typically want small juveniles for our aquariums. So if a fish is both a food fish and an aquarium fish, they get hammered on both sides.

I’m in agreement here and honestly don’t think we should be taking corals from the ocean anymore. Aquaculture has come so far there should be enough to sustain the hobby without having to collect wild specimens. Pretty much everything in my tank came from another hobbyist who fragged their corals..

Last edited:

LunaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple and effective political and business strategy as old as politics itself.

Push for something completely radical and unobtainable and still achieve some of your more minor desired goals and raise awareness.
That was my thought too. They have to swing for the fences and pretend to compromise later.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CORAL magazine just posted an editorial on this. IMO - this bill is fatally flawed (like these early bills often are) and it isn't going anywhere, but the next version might gain traction. Here is the CORAL op-ed:

https://www.coralmagazine.com/2024/...atest-afront-to-the-aquarium-hobby-and-trade/

Jay
There is a link to submit concerns.....
I attempted to submit to congress person and received an error message. Was anyone else successful?

Jay

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue is if it’s illegal to be in procession of the fish and coral listed what will happen to our fish and corals, do we throw, euthanize ,or donate?

I’m fine with better ethnical collection of fish and coral. They need to draw a line and not eliminate this hobby. There’s already coral reef dying due to high temperatures due to climate change. For instance what happen in Florida!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back