Another bill against marine fish: H.R. 6447

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't reviewed this thoroughly as yet, but here is another Federal bill aimed against the marine aquarium trade:

At the very least, since stony corals are all CITES appendix II, they would be restricted.

Jay
Is this bill going to be in affect or does it have to be voted on? And if not will it be in effect soon?
Edited: Nevermind never even passed the house. This bill will probably not be passed.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the NEMO name is actually copyright infringement! The Georgia Aquarium had to call their mascot Deepo instead of Nemo.

Another thing that I’ve seen with USDA regulations is the reliance on the “appropriate secretary” to approve activities. The various agencies have no resources for this oversight and no funding is tied to the bill. The result is that the law then simply STOPS the activity as there is nobody to approve it.

Jay
I nominate @Jay Hemdal for (appropriate) secretary!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this bill going to be in affect or does it have to be voted on? And if not will it be in effect soon?
Edited: Nevermind never even passed the house. This bill will probably not be passed.
Let’s hope not. With all the other stuff everyone thought would never happen though during my 53 years on this planet thus far, I am not super optimistic.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bills that actually get passed have some form of monetary value for the goverment or the individuals who wrote it. Can't see how that would work unless once banned, the government would take over the industry and heavily regulate and tax the marine livestock industry. Case in point, lawmakers have invested heavily in companies who would install and maintain private charging stations at residences or business parking areas. See the push for electric vehicles at this point.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the Hawaii bill was an example, it will keep getting modified and reintroduced until it does pass...something about beating a dead horse?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bills that actually get passed have some form of monetary value for the goverment or the individuals who wrote it. Can't see how that would work unless once banned, the government would take over the industry and heavily regulate and tax the marine livestock industry. Case in point, lawmakers have invested heavily in companies who would install and maintain private charging stations at residences or business parking areas. See the push for electric vehicles at this point.
I do think one thing working here it that with such a divided house this bill probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but like @Jay Hemdal said - they are probably going to pull a Hawai'i and keep reintroducing it with adaptations to try to get it to gain traction and eventually get it through.

This is the first one I've seen in the House (doesn't mean it is - just the first I've seen) but I highly doubt it will be the last. All we can do is keep our eyes and ears out and advocate and not be complacent.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think they are going to be coming for our aquariums/fish/corals that we already have, but that doesn't make the wording any more reassuring. I know the parrot laws got clamped down pretty hard a while back but there was a much more vast network of breeders of parrots and almost any hobbyist with the know-how and dedication could do it (I say that as prior to my birth my parents were parrot enthusiasts who ended up breeding and hand raising macaws).

The marine fishes hobby isn't quite like that, we have spend decades trying to figure out how to raise some of these fish and some of the "experts" still have a hard time and it frequently requires specialized set ups to accomplish.

That being said, I personally do support moving towards more sustainable aquaculture but this bill is not the way. There is a certain four letter acronym organization that thinks all animal owners are evil and that no human should have any pet or livestock of any kind. Usually that organization is behind this sort of legislation - albeit sometimes indirectly.
Another reason breeders should be regulated but that is totally a different subject.
There is a responsibility we as humans have to any animal.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reading through it, the bill is targeting the import, export, and collection of all Marine fish species used in the "Marine Aquarium Trade" but there is a statement at the end clarifying that it does not apply to fish harvested for human consumption. Wouldn't we just submit as evidence all the photos of the Pacific Island fish markets showing that almost all the fish we import they consume?
Actually perhaps u eating coral? LOL:)?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a house rep out of Hawai'i where there are already bans in place. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has him in their pocket and they wrote this bill and had him submit it with his name on it.
My understanding is the same people are pushing this.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any actual data on the "potential to close thousands of businesses"? This isn't that large of a hobby.
just a guess as far as independent pet stores, let alone large ones like WWC, Austin Aqua farms, Tidal Gardens, etc. If the bill gets changed and altered to basically shut down our ability to continue our hobby is insane. I wont hold back on the fact I am a die hard conservative, shutting down a business and putting people out of work in an American owned and operated business, is not something a conservative wants to do.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any actual data on the "potential to close thousands of businesses"? This isn't that large of a hobby.
It’s larger than you think though. Plus isn’t just collection that’s potentially impacted. It’s also those who make the fish food, the lighting, the tanks even, among others, who will be affected as well.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a bonified fact, I work for an auto manufacture. Any increase in payroll, supplies, regulations, corporate taxes, shipping, etc. is passed on to the consumer. Government folks know this, but they want their money too. They know the consumer takes the brunt of it but they don't care.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a guess as far as independent pet stores, let alone large ones like WWC, Austin Aqua farms, Tidal Gardens, etc. If the bill gets changed and altered to basically shut down our ability to continue our hobby is insane. I wont hold back on the fact I am a die hard conservative, shutting down a business and putting people out of work in an American owned and operated business, is not something a conservative wants to do.
I am the exact opposite of a conservative and shutting an American owner business and putting people out of work is not something we want to do either. More people working equates to less people needing assistance.

On top of that if the governments plan is to regulate this hobby, your $50 zoea frag just turned into a $200 frag. The cost of regulations on business is passed on to the consumer.

Our hobby is already regulated, all imports are taxed and we get those passed on to us and all aquaculture facilities pay for licenses and inspections so we pay for those too in the costs of our fish and coral. Granted, right now it doesn't feel like much, but it's there.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the exact opposite of a conservative and shutting an American owner business and putting people out of work is not something we want to do either. More people working equates to less people needing assistance.

That my friend is not something that needs to be covered here, but I will say call the democratic lawmaker who authored this bill and let him know that

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our hobby is already regulated, all imports are taxed and we get those passed on to us and all aquaculture facilities pay for licenses and inspections so we pay for those too in the costs of our fish and coral. Granted, right now it doesn't feel like much, but it's there.
you ain't seen nothing yet, if the government has complete control on this, we are screwed

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back