Another "BLOWING Through Anion DI Resin" Thread

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The title says it....

I just got my mixing station set up in the new house (on well water). I have my DI split up into anion/cation/mixed. I've gone through about 3/4 of my anion resin after only 100 gallons of filtration.

The system is set up downstream of a water softener. My TDS pre-filtration was around 650 (as measured when I got my well water tested), post-RO is 20, and post-DI is 0, both read using the TDS meter on my RODI system.

As I understand it, one common problem that causes this is CO2 (this was Randy's suggestion when I posted about it in another thread).

A few other possibilities I've read about are:
1. Inadequately packed resin (I pack my own)
2. Elevated levels of nitrate, phosphate, silicate, sulfate, carbonate, chloride
3. Improperly stored resin

I do have a question regarding how I had my system set up. Initially I had the anion canister first, followed by the cation canister. I found out later that it's supposed to be the other way around. Does that really matter? I don't see how it would, but I don't want to assume either. I've since switched them to the recommended order.

Is there anything else I might be missing? @Randy Holmes-Farley is most likely right that it's just elevated CO2 (has he been wrong yet? :squinting-face-with-tongue:), but couldn't hurt to make sure I didn't make a silly mistake along the way.

Thanks!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my system setup similar to yours, and I'm also on well water. The difference is, I don't have a water softener. Mine runs through a 3 stage whole house water filter instead. The stages for the whole house system are setup with a sediment filter, a heavy metals filter and a carbon block.

My RODI is setup with a 5 micron sediment filter, 5 micron carbon block, then a 1 micron carbon block. My DI stages are the standard BRS kit... Cation/Anion/Mixed bed. TDS into the prefilters is about 250 for me (after the whole house filter).

As for the DI order, BRS thinks it matters, Randy said it probably shouldn't. I did the BRS order, just in case it does.

I assume your softener is salt based? Is there a way you could tap into the water BEFORE the softener and see if that changes things for you? It might be a toss-up at that point and you'd have to figure out what was cheaper... burning through prefilters or DI resin. :D

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have my system setup similar to yours, and I'm also on well water. The difference is, I don't have a water softener. Mine runs through a 3 stage whole house water filter instead. The stages for the whole house system are setup with a sediment filter, a heavy metals filter and a carbon block.

My RODI is setup with a 5 micron sediment filter, 5 micron carbon block, then a 1 micron carbon block. My DI stages are the standard BRS kit... Cation/Anion/Mixed bed. TDS into the prefilters is about 250 for me (after the whole house filter).

As for the DI order, BRS thinks it matters, Randy said it probably shouldn't. I did the BRS order, just in case it does.

I assume your softener is salt based? Is there a way you could tap into the water BEFORE the softener and see if that changes things for you? It might be a toss-up at that point and you'd have to figure out what was cheaper... burning through prefilters or DI resin. :D

I could try pre-softener. I may have to try that.

I also don’t see how order matters but what do I know lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back