ANOTHER cycle question

BRS

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, kind of a cycle question. My salinity appears to be at about 1.020. It’s not GREAT but I can obviously raise it easily since there are no fish or anything. The only thing I have added is my ammonium chloride and live bacteria. I’m wondering if I can just slowly add salt directly to the tank, since I only have live bacteria. No filter socks or anything right now since I’m on the first day of cycling. So- can I add a bit of salt every 30 minutes to raise salinity?

Fritz

newbie2014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
With no live stocks, you can add salt directly in the tank.

FYI, according to Dr. Tim Hovanec ( the creator/owner of Dr. Tim Aquatics), low salinity (1.018-1.020) allows nitrifying bacteria to grow faster. And that's what he recommends for fishless tank cycling.

OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score

FYI, according to Dr. Tim Hovanec ( the creator/owner of Dr. Tim Aquatics), low salinity (1.018-1.020) allows nitrifying bacteria to grow faster. And that's what he recommends for fishless tank cycling.
Oh, really?

Avast
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score

Sweet!!!!! Thanks!

BRS

BIG TANKS VERSUS SMALLER TANKS...WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

• BIGGER

Votes: 709 75.5%
  • smaller

Votes: 180 19.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 50 5.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Coral Frenzy