ANOTHER cycle question

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, kind of a cycle question. My salinity appears to be at about 1.020. It’s not GREAT but I can obviously raise it easily since there are no fish or anything. The only thing I have added is my ammonium chloride and live bacteria. I’m wondering if I can just slowly add salt directly to the tank, since I only have live bacteria. No filter socks or anything right now since I’m on the first day of cycling. So- can I add a bit of salt every 30 minutes to raise salinity?

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no live stocks, you can add salt directly in the tank.

FYI, according to Dr. Tim Hovanec ( the creator/owner of Dr. Tim Aquatics), low salinity (1.018-1.020) allows nitrifying bacteria to grow faster. And that's what he recommends for fishless tank cycling.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI, according to Dr. Tim Hovanec ( the creator/owner of Dr. Tim Aquatics), low salinity (1.018-1.020) allows nitrifying bacteria to grow faster. And that's what he recommends for fishless tank cycling.
Oh, really?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sweet!!!!! Thanks!

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP.

If you want more info, there's a video of him talking about aquarium cycling at MACNA.

Back