ANOTHER cycle question

BRS

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, kind of a cycle question. My salinity appears to be at about 1.020. It’s not GREAT but I can obviously raise it easily since there are no fish or anything. The only thing I have added is my ammonium chloride and live bacteria. I’m wondering if I can just slowly add salt directly to the tank, since I only have live bacteria. No filter socks or anything right now since I’m on the first day of cycling. So- can I add a bit of salt every 30 minutes to raise salinity?

Budmans

newbie2014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
With no live stocks, you can add salt directly in the tank.

FYI, according to Dr. Tim Hovanec ( the creator/owner of Dr. Tim Aquatics), low salinity (1.018-1.020) allows nitrifying bacteria to grow faster. And that's what he recommends for fishless tank cycling.

OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score

FYI, according to Dr. Tim Hovanec ( the creator/owner of Dr. Tim Aquatics), low salinity (1.018-1.020) allows nitrifying bacteria to grow faster. And that's what he recommends for fishless tank cycling.
Oh, really?

Budmans
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score

Sweet!!!!! Thanks!

BRS

When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service?

• Days ago

Votes: 60 11.9%
  • Weeks ago

Votes: 66 13.1%
  • Several months ago

Votes: 37 7.3%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • Over a year

Votes: 35 6.9%
  • Several years

Votes: 47 9.3%