Another Cycling Question

ReefinginOntario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been in the hobby for a few years now but have run into a bit of an odd cycle for my new 150G. I'll be at 5 weeks tomorrow and my nitrites are still showing 1-1.5 on a salifert test kit and were as high as 2+ at some point a couple of weeks ago. I did add 1 ppm ammonia about 3 days ago to see how fast they would convert and it registered however is currently at 0. My nitrates are at 80-100 on a salifert kit, and my phosphates are at 0.03 according to my Hanna Checker.

I used Dr Tim's OAO and their Ammonia Chloridide for the fishless cycle. I have other smaller tanks and my nitrites have always gone down to 0 within 2 weeks but this is my first time using Dr. Tim's. So my question is since I have such high nitrates and marginal phosphates should I consider the cycle complete or do I have to wait for the nitrites to drop to zero? My LFS suggests that I need to wait to get zero nitrites however I have read some posts that suggests that is no longer the case. Is my cycle complete? What should be my next steps?

Thanks in advance!
RiO

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is complete. It's been 5 weeks, you're producing nitrates and processing ammonia quickly. Nitrites are not toxic in saltwater so not really a concern but likely exist from ammonia processing or test kit variables. Do a water change to get the nutrients where you want them and start adding fish.

OP
OP
R

ReefinginOntario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is complete. It's been 5 weeks, you're producing nitrates and processing ammonia quickly. Nitrites are not toxic in saltwater so not really a concern but likely exist from ammonia processing or test kit variables. Do a water change to get the nutrients where you want them and start adding fish.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I’ll start off with a 50% water change and take it from there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back