Another fish? Or am I too hasty

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, I have a fluval evo 13.5 and I have loved the ease of care for my animals so far. Some unfortunate deaths that were very preventable have happened but I have learned. The other reason I have a small tank is so that moving it to and from college 4 times a year is MUCH easier with a small tank. However, I notice that there is something missing from my display and I feel like I need another fish!

currently, I have 2 small ocellaris clowns, and a pistol shrimp + orange spotted goby pair

the clownfish are not aggressive and do not go after my goby or my inverts at all. So I am wondering if it is safe to add a royal gramma as I plan to upgrade around the holidays to a Fiji cube 22.4 gallon (as long as my RA lets me go over the schools tank size limit). I would only get the gramma once I knew if I could upgrade or not but I am wondering if 4 fish is too much for a 20 gallon tank

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I had a Nanocube 12 gallon for many years so I can chime in here.

If you do weekly water changes to maintain the tank then adding one more small fish should be no issue! Royal Grammas do get a little big so maybe wait until you have a larger tank. But having to lug around a 20-gallon tank is a lot heavier than your current tank, you'll also have to buy more equipment.

If they appeal to you, I would suggest adding a Tailspot Blenny as your 3rd fish in your 13.5-gallon tank. They're small, affordable, eat algae, have tons of personality, and are very cute. I named mine "Puppy" because they act like one. They also will hop around and swim all over your tank, they are not very shy fish. I'm sure a healthy one will add the missing movement you're looking for in your Nano. I do suggest having a lid as they may jump when spooked.

1691523316005.png

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Grammas are pretty territorial so I would say you could do it if your rock work is accommodating for the RG to set up base camp that won't impede with the clown's territory.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it there - you won’t notice how bad the clowns are until you add another fish for them to target. Most fish tend to ignore shrimpgobies due to their hiding behavior.
Maintaining clean water is work but doable, the biggest concern is just how mean clownfish are.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep up your care I would say go for it. Royal gramma get a little big for a 13.5 g.

Could I suggest a jester goby perhaps?

or a possum wrasse?

cheers

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I had a Nanocube 12 gallon for many years so I can chime in here.

If you do weekly water changes to maintain the tank then adding one more small fish should be no issue! Royal Grammas do get a little big so maybe wait until you have a larger tank. But having to lug around a 20-gallon tank is a lot heavier than your current tank, you'll also have to buy more equipment.

If they appeal to you, I would suggest adding a Tailspot Blenny as your 3rd fish in your 13.5-gallon tank. They're small, affordable, eat algae, have tons of personality, and are very cute. I named mine "Puppy" because they act like one. They also will hop around and swim all over your tank, they are not very shy fish. I'm sure a healthy one will add the missing movement you're looking for in your Nano. I do suggest having a lid as they may jump when spooked.

1691523316005.png
I love the tailspot blenny, was thinking that as well

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep up your care I would say go for it. Royal gramma get a little big for a 13.5 g.

Could I suggest a jester goby perhaps?

or a possum wrasse?

cheers
I do faithful 30% water changes weekly and I have yet to have an ugly stage! So another fish does not worry me

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As of right now, I have a fluval evo 13.5 and I have loved the ease of care for my animals so far. Some unfortunate deaths that were very preventable have happened but I have learned. The other reason I have a small tank is so that moving it to and from college 4 times a year is MUCH easier with a small tank. However, I notice that there is something missing from my display and I feel like I need another fish!

currently, I have 2 small ocellaris clowns, and a pistol shrimp + orange spotted goby pair

the clownfish are not aggressive and do not go after my goby or my inverts at all. So I am wondering if it is safe to add a royal gramma as I plan to upgrade around the holidays to a Fiji cube 22.4 gallon (as long as my RA lets me go over the schools tank size limit). I would only get the gramma once I knew if I could upgrade or not but I am wondering if 4 fish is too much for a 20 gallon tank
Gramma is fine. They are controversial in the manner that mine and others are models cirizens while for many are the devil's child. Firefish goby, banggai cardinal and tail spot blenny are other good considerations

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't under estimate the fury of clownfish, especially as they grow.
They were captive bred, put in my tank young, and are still small! They have been model citizens so far so we will see. Scardy cats too. I turn off the pump for a water change and they go right to the back of the tank and won’t even attack my hand when I’m doing maintenance

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma is fine. They are controversial in the manner that mine and others are models cirizens while for many are the devil's child. Firefish goby, banggai cardinal and tail spot blenny are other good considerations
How about a six line wrasse? I’ve heard they are aggressive, but with the fish I have would it stay in check?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How about a six line wrasse? I’ve heard they are aggressive, but with the fish I have would it stay in check?
Same as royal gramma- Mine is a great occupant but for many are a nightmare/. I dont have an issue with them

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 captive-bred clowns. They're now 3 years old and the female has made me bleed on various occasions when I have my hand in the tank for too long. I have finally added a black cap basslet who is co-existing with them in my 20 but I definitely would not add a fourth fish to 13.5-gallon tank. Especially one that is gonna be getting moved every couple of months. Have yours had their dominance battle yet?

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 captive-bred clowns. They're now 3 years old and the female has made me bleed on various occasions when I have my hand in the tank for too long. I have finally added a black cap basslet who is co-existing with them in my 20 but I definitely would not add a fourth fish to 13.5-gallon tank. Especially one that is gonna be getting moved every couple of months. Have yours had their dominance battle yet?
Yes, the female pokes at the male constantly and he does his twitching submission dance

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a 6-Line wrasse is a little too active for a 12 gallon. They can also get aggressive, what shrimp goby pair do you currently have?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back