Another ? For all of you

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you know my tank is going to be upstairs but my filtration and sump and all other things will be downstairs. What I am wondering is if the cord length is long enough on my halide fixture would I be better off with the ballasts in the basement and just run my cords up to the light fixture?

Eric

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into it with my new setup. The way I see it, you cn offset the ballast and keep it out of the direct path of any leaks. Moreso (at least I hope so) than directly under the tank.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've done that before. it keeps the heat and noise in the basement too.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I want to do it. The tank is going to be in our living room and I would love to have the beauty of the tank and no noise with it. I am still contemplating going to T5's. The only hold back I have right now is I love the shimmer you get from the Halides.

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock some t5s.After a day or two you wont miss the halide.I felt same way but after a bit i was happy went to the other side.You can get a little shimmer if break the surface a bit.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to disagree about missing the halides. I tried some T5s on one of my tanks and just didn't care for it. The lighting is too even give it a more artificial look IMO. plus the shimmer is a deal breaker for me too.

I did the basement ballast thing with one of our living room tanks once. it was really nice having a nearly silent tank with everything downstairs.

condiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with siropa I have tried many types of lights and I am still a big halide fan all the way. Just something on how they look

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they make t5 fixtures now that have a lot of leds lights to still give you that shimmer

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres ways how to get shimmer with t5s if thats the issue.......Imo i have seen alot nicer colors in tanks with t5s over them then halide tanks.Alot more options to get color you want etc with t5s also.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno I will have a hard time switching to T5's. Maybe someday for now no. I will mount my ballasts in the basement out of the waters path. :D

Eric

Back