Another Hobby I Wanted To Get Back Into

apex_everything

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2018
Messages
45
Reaction score
67
Location
TN
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning from St. Louis!

Since I am fairly young to the saltwater community, my knowledge about the hobby is starting to grow. I started with a freshwater tank back when I lived with my parents, (Keep in mind I'm still in my early 20's) and now I wanted to get into the saltwater community.

I am about a year or so before I do get another tank but I am in the process for looking for a house. Is there any tips or tricks I should look for when buying a house to support a good sizable tank?

Thank you and I'm glad I have found a great forum to start learning about saltwater!

Just a little about myself.

I have another expensive hobby which I absolutely love which is racing. I've been racing for 4 years now with the SCCA. I attached a picture of my previous race car. I autocross and road course a lot. I have been to nationals and won my first national trophy placing 7th out of 30 or so cars in my class.

Have a great day!

thumbnail.jpg
 
Welcome to R2R!!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif
#WelcometoR2R
 
Welcome to R2R @apex_everything !!
Glad to see another car enthusiast on board!

As for the house, congrats and good luck! Planning for a strong floor and plenty of dedicated outlets and maybe a separate fish room will be super helpful in planning your tank build!

Good luck!!
 
Welcome to R2R @apex_everything !!
Glad to see another car enthusiast on board!

As for the house, congrats and good luck! Planning for a strong floor and plenty of dedicated outlets and maybe a separate fish room will be super helpful in planning your tank build!

Good luck!!

Awesome, thank you. I read that some people even start a new circuit on the breaker board just for the tank and other equipment.
 
Welcome to R2R! :D As far as what to look for in a house, just make sure it has solid base-floors where you want to place the tank. Be careful about basement underneath the main floor but I think most housing support structures can support most aquarium sizes, anything over a 150 or so might require a bit more scrutiny in terms of the flooring. If the flooring moves when you walk on it, even a little, I would stay away from big tanks. I have problems in my second story apartment with this sort of thing so I'm limited to nano tanks.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new