Another introduction, this time from Rhode Island

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

New to the forums, but totally new to the hobby. I used to have a 75gal fish only tank for about 4 years before I had to distribute the critters and break it down. Now I am looking to get back into the hobby and going a bit, okay a LOT, bigger than the 75gal I had before. You can see my idea for my new tank in the build thread I have created (tank design/idea). Would really appreciate any opinions/feedback on the design.

A bit about me -
Like I said not a total newb but have a lot to learn as I am wanting to build a mixed reef tank so corals are looking a bit scary. Initial interest/draw to the hobby is my experiences SCUBA diving and wanting to bring some of that beauty and experience 'home' with me. I doubt I will set up my tank(s) around any specific area, but rather just what I will enjoy seeing and watching.

I am an R&D engineer by profession and love to build/tinker with embedded systems, control systems, etc. I will be implementing some ideas of automating a lot of features on my system and will probably give some serious looking into the Reef-Pi system and see if it is for me and/or see if I can contribute to the design or end up spinning up my own system. I have a lot of experience with designing and interfacing to systems so feel free to contact/ask me for ideas/help in designing/interfacing/controlling some device or contraption you are thinking about.

In addition to any feedback on my tank design I would like to know if anyone knows of an active group/club for saltwater hobbyists in RI or Eastern CT. I looked in the "Local Reef Club Discussion" but there is basically no activity in the RI thread and the CT seems to be all Western CT groups. For CT groups I'm looking for something in the triangle formed by Old Lyme, Norwich, and Westerly RI.

Take care and looking forward to interacting with everyone.
S

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you (post something in there to see who is watching - it might just need you to reignite it back up!):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back