another LED build

  • Thread starter Thread starter GR808
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
UPDATE!!!
It's been 5 weeks and everything seems to be ok. The acclimation of my lights kinda bombed because I got up to 70 percent on the cw/rb and 60 percent intensity on just the rb I cooked a couple of sticks and have since turned it down 20 percent each and reduced my photoperiod from 12 to 10 hrs. seeing some color coming back on some so I'll leave it there for a while. MAN those lights are smokin strong. I still haven't used the optics yet either. Prolly the biggest problem to that is the leds are just 4" above the water so that must be some serious par going down..
hoping and praying i don't cook nothing else..
 
Thanks, There are a few things I would have done differently but overall I am extremely happy with the build.

I LOVE the color of the LEDs in your tank. It looks awesome. Many I see are so washed out with blue that they are not very appealing to my eyes. Yours is perfect!

Could you elaborate on what you would have done differently? I am going to be building a set here in the near future for my 125G upgrade and can use all the tips I can get.
 
I LOVE the color of the LEDs in your tank. It looks awesome. Many I see are so washed out with blue that they are not very appealing to my eyes. Yours is perfect!

Could you elaborate on what you would have done differently? I am going to be building a set here in the near future for my 125G upgrade and can use all the tips I can get.

thanks for the kind words. Well, for one thing I would have not done is the layout of my LEDs. I don't hate it, I just would have staggered the cw and the blues a little more traditionally. Look into getting the premium blues from Bill at reefledlights orbat least inquire with him on the difference between RB and premium blues. I used the 30rb to 18cw kit per heatsink. Each heatsink has 24 rb on one driver and 18cw and 6rb combo on the other. I run the 24rb about 15 percent lower intensity than the combo.
Feel free to ask away when doing your build. I'll b glad to help
 
One thing that u shouldn't do is underestimate the power of the LED. It may not physically look bright but the par value is there. I need to take some par readings when I can borrow my buddy's par meter. Or just watch your corals.... really closely... you might cook them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new