Another Lighting Question

Michael.Brock

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2025
Messages
27
Reaction score
28
Location
Alachua
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a technical 175 gallon reef tank a decade or so ago. I downsized to a freshwater planted tank in a 40g breeder and am now wanting to convert that to a macro-algae live rock setup without the focus on keeping the high light requiring corals.

I have two Beamworks DA 6500k on the tank I am going to use for this. I would also like to keep a bubble tip anemone. Is it worth supplementing the two 6500k lights with a more actinic/10k led strip? Something like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0899BVX9Q

Overkill? Or should I just take it a step at a time and see how it works out with the two 6500k lights? As usual, I'm probably overthinking things and getting ahead of myself. The tank still has freshwater in it.
 
As usually happens, once I ask the question I start making progress on my own to answer it 😀

The two Beamworks 6500k each have 84 6500k lights + 16 actinic lights, .5w each for a total of 50W. So two of those gives me 100w of lighting.

The Nicrew light gives me another 36w (and claiming 87 par at 12" in air) of more blue-skewed light (a mix of 72 10k/30 445nm/ 30 460nm / 18 rgb leds).

So a total of 136W of light.

And it occurs to me now that this thread probably would have been better placed in the New Reefer or lighting forums. I apologize for the placement. I don't see an option now to move it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new