Another need a light recommendations thread...

LunaticFringeInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Ladies and Gents...been out of SW for a while and Irecently got back into it. There havebeen a lot of developments in lighting in the last couple of years so I am kindof behind the power curve here. In thepast most of my tanks have been larger tanks (55-300 gallons) usingHalides/VHO's and Halides and T-5's a bit less as they were just hitting the scenehard and heavy about the time I got out and took some time off from the hobbie. Made a cross country move after retiring fromthe military and was kind of burned out on Reefing.
I set up a 10 gallon AGA tank back in September. I used 15 lbs of Tonga Branch and MarshalIslands live rock. I used about 20 lbsof Oolithic Sand and 5 lbs of GARF Grunge Original on top of that. Used a Aquaclear 30 HOB filter for filtration and watermovement. I later added 2 Maxi-Jet 400Powerheads on a Wave Maker Power Strip (guess they dont make these anymore butit was a left over that I had laying around and used anyways) for added watermovement. Lighting started out consistingof 2 x T-8 actinics since there was no live stock in the tank other thansubstrate and rock work. I let thesystem "Marinate" from September till mid March. At which point, having coralline algae, hardtube worms, various worms in the sand bed and other Micro Fauna were justgetting too boring.
Early March I up grading the lighting. Sprung for a LED fixture from DeathCo (PetCo) made for "Marine" tanks made by Fluval. Man what a waste of money...I should haveknown, but you live and you learn. Justthought I would try and move up into the new Millennium since LED's seemed tobe the shiznick these days on many folks tank. Its okay for the 5 Paly/Zoa frags I have and a frag of GSP but verydisappointing thus far. Probably would havebeen okay for a FO or FOWLR, but I aint really into fish and this system ismuch too small for much in the way of a small fish or two even if I wasinterested in going that route. Addedone of the T-8 actinics to the mix and it still suxs to say the least althoughit was a bit of an improvement.
Now to cut to the chase with the background info out of theway. I need a light recommendation! Id like something in the 12-14K rating lookwise. A crisp but moderate bluetint. Not a big fan of 20K halides andthe washed out in blue look they give. Ineed something that can be used on a 10 gallon tank but will also be adaptableto a standard 20 gallon tank later down the road in several months. If T-5's or Halide is the way to go, I willbe using a retro fit as I have a unique canopy/hood design that pretty muchmakes heat issues a non-issue. I am acertified card carrying SPS junkie in no uncertain terms. While SPS growth is nice I am more aboutmaintaining the kind of true brilliant colors in my corals more so than makingit look like they are under a black light. Ill gladly settle for moderate growth rates. I do seriously dig me some Crocea or Maximaclams and eye popping Paly/Zoa's too!
So...If this was your tank, what kind of lighting set upwould you be looking to put over a tank like this these days?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back