Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 1.jpg

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.

Your tank rock work looks great. Keep it as is or if your going to create more hiding places (and places to put coral), now is the time. You won't want the tank to cycle with more stock in your tank and once you start adding coral, you might not have that 'spot" to stack rock. I just started adding coral in my tank about a year in. I am doing a softie tank with my current tank. They are much easier then I thought and now #allmymoneygoestocoral LOL...New bigger tank is in the planning stage for me and I will be doing mixed reef softie with LPS.

In my research on lights, seams a 24x24 spread is fairly common. Depth can get you though so think about that if you plan on moving the lights to a larger system. You can always dim them but if your at max PAR you can't get anymore. I have Current USA loop light/wave system. I like it a lot. I wish from the beginning I paid attention to the PAR chart they have. I have a 56 gal, it is taller than a 55 (it was as big as I could fit in the space allotted to me at the time). Well I bought it with only 1 orbit light strip to find the PAR was really only usable in the top half of my tank. I ended up adding the second strip, an IC pro....Well that ended up for the best. I was in contact with the sales rep from Current USA to get some recommendations on settings and he said that they do not sell the light strips in a package this way but it is their favorite way to go for PAR and color. Guess things happen for a reason....

Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading posts on this site for almost a year while I researched how to start my saltwater tank. So now that it is finally in the stocking stage I figured I should join.

I've been keeping freshwater aquariums for awhile assuming that saltwater would be difficult. So when it came time to switch up an aquarium I was unhappy with, I was going to start an Mbuna tank as I really wanted colorful fish and a busy tank. Then a friend of mine told me about the 110 gallon saltwater system he used to have and the seed was planted. I had somehow not paid attention to reef tanks before! The low stocking side is alright when there are so many options of corals and the varying kinds of livestock.

Months of research later and with the cracking of our 45 gallon freshwater tank, I settled on starting a 40 gallon breeder tank. I couldn't convince the wife to let me alter the living room enough for a 75 or bigger. I may add a little more rock for hiding spaces but that will depend on the stocking. It currently has a Black Ice Ocellaris clownfish, orange Ocellaris clownfish, a Yellow Watchman Goby, and few Hermit crabs and Cerith snails.

I plan on adding 2 more fish but I'm still undecided on what and will be asking for some advice in another thread. And then I'll start looking into the corals but I had already decided on a softie tank from the beginning.

20200716_173630.jpg
40B's rock, welcome and good luck. Love the rock scape fwiw

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading posts on this site for almost a year while I researched how to start my saltwater tank. So now that it is finally in the stocking stage I figured I should join.

I've been keeping freshwater aquariums for awhile assuming that saltwater would be difficult. So when it came time to switch up an aquarium I was unhappy with, I was going to start an Mbuna tank as I really wanted colorful fish and a busy tank. Then a friend of mine told me about the 110 gallon saltwater system he used to have and the seed was planted. I had somehow not paid attention to reef tanks before! The low stocking side is alright when there are so many options of corals and the varying kinds of livestock.

Months of research later and with the cracking of our 45 gallon freshwater tank, I settled on starting a 40 gallon breeder tank. I couldn't convince the wife to let me alter the living room enough for a 75 or bigger. I may add a little more rock for hiding spaces but that will depend on the stocking. It currently has a Black Ice Ocellaris clownfish, orange Ocellaris clownfish, a Yellow Watchman Goby, and few Hermit crabs and Cerith snails.

I plan on adding 2 more fish but I'm still undecided on what and will be asking for some advice in another thread. And then I'll start looking into the corals but I had already decided on a softie tank from the beginning.

20200716_173630.jpg

Nice start! Welcome to R2R!!

giphy.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back