Another PVC to ABS Bulkhead question thread

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've read through all the PVC to ABS bulkhead glue question threads now and still cannot find a definitive answer. Right now I'm leaning towards using Oateys clear PVC glue and primer for all pvc fittings, and then just using the glue (no primer) on the connections that meet with the abs bulkhead.

I'm also interested in trying the threaded method with thread sealant to avoid this issue all together, but will it hold up on the return line as well? I've only read about people using it for the overflow.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've read through all the PVC to ABS bulkhead glue question threads now and still cannot find a definitive answer. Right now I'm leaning towards using Oateys clear PVC glue and primer for all pvc fittings, and then just using the glue (no primer) on the connections that meet with the abs bulkhead.

I'm also interested in trying the threaded method with thread sealant to avoid this issue all together, but will it hold up on the return line as well? I've only read about people using it for the overflow.

I've never given 2nd thought to using PVC glue of any kind, primer or no primer, when using bulkheads. I haven't had an issue at all in 20 years.

I am not a fan of threaded connections, just my own personal opinion. I like glue and LOTS of unions.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never given 2nd thought to using PVC glue of any kind, primer or no primer, when using bulkheads. I haven't had an issue at all in 20 years.

I am not a fan of threaded connections, just my own personal opinion. I like glue and LOTS of unions.
Yea that makes me feel better lol, I never thought id worry about PVC glue this much.

maxtek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried both PVC glue without primer and ABS to PVC glue, for an inline heater plumbed to return. The former leaked and the latter did not. But we can’t rule out user error, in my case...

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make an ABS to PVC glue for that application.
I've heard the same mixed opinions on that glue as well, makes me think its not worth it.
Just skip the primer on the abs side. The glue you mentioned is appropriate. You won't have any issues.
So no primer in the actual bulkhead but put it on the pvc? and then glue in the bulkhead I assume
I’ve tried both PVC glue without primer and ABS to PVC glue, for an inline heater plumbed to return. The former leaked and the latter did not. But we can’t rule out user error, in my case...
Heck idk what todo again now, should I just get the special abs to pvc glue? Did you have any issues with it? Do they offer clear versions?

Thanks for the help guys!

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put primer on a ABS bulkhead once by accident. That made a mess of the bulkhead. It got way to soft

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back