another question. Sorry for the bother, but new to this and have a great deal to learn.

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like an anemone. It is around 1 inch and the arms are moving one at a time in and out of the center of it like a mouth. As soon as one comes out another one goes in. It is like it is catching things and eating them.

Another ID needed..jpg

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I'm unable to identify anything in your photo that strikes me as an anemone.

However, from your description, I have a couple of guesses...

Do you have something extending and retracting from a tube? If so, is it fan shaped or putting out a stringy web?

If fan shaped, it's most likely a feather duster. If a stringy web, it's Vermatid Snails.

If no tube, we'll most likely need a better description or a photo that clearly identifies what it is you're asking about.

OP
OP
G

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
It is in a hole in a rock. If you touch it it retracts into the rock. Small center round base with arms coming off of it around the edges. The arms seem to have hairs on them and one at a time they go into the center of the base and come out. It is like they are catching things in the hair and then going into the mouth to be cleaned. One by one the arms go into the mouth and back out.

Willowdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to what it is also, I have four of them. They are actually pretty cool.
They are a filter feeder. I've tried to research on the web but I cannot find anything like it.
I've noticed they come out right after a WC change or when I stir up a lot of debris in the tank.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
It is in a hole in a rock. If you touch it it retracts into the rock. Small center round base with arms coming off of it around the edges. The arms seem to have hairs on them and one at a time they go into the center of the base and come out. It is like they are catching things in the hair and then going into the mouth to be cleaned. One by one the arms go into the mouth and back out.

Hmmm, this description seems to indicate my earlier guess were incorrect.

Is it always coming out of the same hole or is it seeming to move to different locations?

Do you ever see a "cloud" of "dust" from that location? If so, it could be a peanut worm. Good to have

I suppose it could be an Aiptasia anemone, but it doesn't really sound a lot like it. Bad to have

If it's moving locations, it could be a Mini Brittle Starfish. Good to have

A "hole in the rock," could this hole be the opening of a shell, maybe a slightly "bell shaped" shell? If so, it's possible that it's a barnacle, as mentioned by someone else earlier.

Willowdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for sure not a feather duster.
There are about 8 arms stretched out in a circle, Each arm, one at a time will curl into the central mouth.

Willowdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a barnacle, aptasia, or brittle start fish. I do think it may be some kind of worm.
They never fully come out, only thing that is visable are the arms and mouth and are always in the same hole, but there always seems to be more to them than the arms and mouth.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread but I have been trying to find out what these are for quite awhile.

smoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a barnacle, aptasia, or brittle start fish. I do think it may be some kind of worm.
They never fully come out, only thing that is visable are the arms and mouth and are always in the same hole, but there always seems to be more to them than the arms and mouth.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread but I have been trying to find out what these are for quite awhile.

Do you have a pic? Without a better pic everybody is just guessing.

OP
OP
G

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!! Mine does the same thing. Does not seem to hurt anything and it is interesting.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need to apologize for questions! It helps you and it helps someone else in the future. :)

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jagged and branch-look of the potential "tentacles" in addition to your one tentacle moving at a time description indicate that this is a small sea cucumber. I have had several small ones like this in my rocks in the past. They are harmless and may even be beneficial to your tank. If you feed your tank phytoplankton or any similar foods I am sure this guy would enjoy spot feeding.

Also is that rock that it is on with the macro from the Gulf of Mexico, Carribean Sea, south Atlantic Ocean or somewhere nearby those? The macro type does seem to match that of macro often found in the Gulf, if you do not know the origin of your rock. If the rock is indeed from one of those, it is even more likely that this is a sea cucumber because this small kind often comes in on rocks taken from the previously stated bodies of water. In fact, the ones I had were on a rock from the Gulf of Mexico.

Here is a picture of one for reference. This is not my picture though.

CUC.jpg

Here is a picture of rocks from the Gulf of Mexico for reference. This picture is also not mine.

rock.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is it!!

Yes the rock did come from the Gulf Coast. Yes it looks just like the picture except for the red tint. Thanks for the ID.

OP
OP
G

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wounder how big it will get and will it ever come out of the rock ??? Do you know the name of the type pictured???

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how big it will get off hand. From my understanding, there are dwarf sea cucumber species that only get a few inches long. But I do remember the ones I had growing over time.

Willowdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it, thanks for the help.
My rock is also from the Gulf of Mexico.
Hopefully they will multiply as they have become one of my favorite hitchhikers along with the Urchin and the silver doller sized open brain coral that came in on my rock.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back